Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest place to buy these dog nuts!

Options
  • 14-05-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey gang

hope no one got caught out walkin their pets their minute ago, we got drenched!

i just bought a big bag a nuts there for 57 euro, 10kg's of em.

http://img8.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=photo0158v.jpg

theres the pic of em ther, not even sure what brand to look out for.

thanks
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/veterinary-diets_c_4347.html

They often have specials too. If this is the first time that your dog is eating these nuts, I'd wait a few weeks to see how they go down before investing in another pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Most petshops carry Royal Canin - just the packaging differs depending on whether you buy from a vet or from a petshop - but the food is exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I came across a very good website about dog food anaysis, think it was recommended by someone else here on boards. It teaches you to read the label and what's actually in the food.

Believe it or not the really expensive brands are not always best. Check it out. I've started reading the bags of different brands now and they don't seem to differ at all.

Too much cereal and not enough meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Did it say what the James Welbeloved is like on that website? Have you got a link? Thats what I'm feeding my staffie. At 12euro for 2 kilo's its not cheap.
    If anyone knows anywhere its cheaper, I would be well appreciative!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you want to stick to Royal Canine, up north in Newry area they have it cheaper than here. And sometimes have deals on 3 for 2 of the smaller bags.

I've been recommended to change to James Wellbeloved as apparently it's a lot better, and my pup was getting an awful itch and it's improving on the Wellbeloved food.
    I thought compared to Royal Canine, 12.90 for 2kgs of puppy Wellbeloved was cheap. The Royal Canine is about 21 for the same about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Is the site one that rates the food with stars?
    Cos I was looking through one like that and obviously Pedigree Chum was a 2 star food, but I was surprised to see Red Mills and Royal Canin down there in the same section with it!! I could be wrong on that now, my memory's not the best- I'll see if I can find the site again and post up the link.
    We feed mostly raw, but supplement it with dryfood- we've used Hills Science Plan- very happy with it.....Red Mills- the dogs weren't too keen, Arden Grange- very happy with that too, Burns- big thumbs up on that one! Personally I think Orijen is one of the best out there.....it's completely grain and cereal free. We've just ordered it.
    We're in a small town where Hills can be got at the vets clinic, and Burns at the chemist....aside from them, there's no decent dogfood to be got anywhere in the town, and the vet and chemist are running out of stock too regularly and we can't rely on them, so it's time to buy our dogfood online.
    If ye're interested I can let ye know how the dogs get on with the Orijen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Hi socket

Yes I think that's the site, I wrote it down for further referance but lost it. Now I can't get onto it ... argh. Will keep trying.

The Orijen looks brill. It's a bit dear though isn't it ? Arden Grange is a good one too.
    I'm looking at trying to get a supplier for raw as I think dogs really need some raw in the diet. The pooh always looks great when they've had raw and dogs seem to put wight on fast too.

where do you get your raw, do you have to buy it in especially.

I find the Massbrook really good, they do a few different flavours, Complete, Beef crunch and today i discovered the sports one (green bag) which is chicken. Can have trouble with local suppliers so what i do is mix the complete and beef together in a feed bin, that way if one week i can't get one or the other it won't upset their tums. It's a pity though that these guys are putting in so much wheat and maize in to fill it out. I'd sooner pay a bit extra for more meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Hi CloudyDay,
    It's not that much more expensive....we paid E54 for a 13.5 kilo bag for the adults, and E32 for a 7 kilo bag of the puppy one. It arrived this afternoon, and the dogs love it! 4 empty dishes after 5 mins... One of the boys, Juneau, is a very slow eater, often doesn't finish....if he gets distracted at all he'll walk away from it. We had issues with his weight last year when he lost every bit of padding he had and was getting sick...all down to stress. We're still trying to put that back on him. He built up nicely but in Feb the dogs went into boarding while we were at a wedding, and he lost it again over the 3 days there. He's very anxious, just doesn't like to be away from home.

So, it's important he finishes his meals....fingers crossed this is the dryfood we can stick at. The raw is no prob- they all wolf it down no bother!

We get our meat from the butcher...he puts aside the chicken carcasses, hearts, trotters, ribs for us....pretty much everything we need is from our butcher, and all free of charge. He has our custom anyway, and as Shannon is a small town we're known to him, and vice versa.
    Apples and carrots from the supermarket. They won't eat any other fruit or veg so that's the reason they get dryfood as well.

Oh, I found that site- I'll put it in it's own thread so it can be found easily again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cesarbart

i pay 25 euro for 15 kg of the best most holitic food and ive tried alot of them. Check out GAIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nautical star

i think the site cloudy day is talking about is
    dogfoodanalysis.com
    its worth having a look, the Orijen is very good ive been using it for 3 months now and would never go back to anything else,
    http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/stockists.html#eire
    this should give you a list of Irish suppliers,

• Advertisement
Advertisement