Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash carts for consoles?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

I heard someone on the board lately say that there were flash carts available for the mega drive. Where abouts could you find these? I think I would enjoy being able to play a broad selection of games on the original hardware rather than through emulation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tototek is the company you want to look up.

http://www.tototek.com/store/

I don't have any of their carts, but I've heard great things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I can def recommend Tototek. Ive got the mega drive flash card set, the master system one, and recently the snes one with dsp adaptor. Always great comms and good delivery time from HK.

My ONLY gripe with the technology, is the programmers require usb AND parallel connections. If you can live with this then you should no problem enjoying flashing your stuff :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a flash cart for the Virtual Boy and Vectrex and wouldn't be without them, that said, the way I salve my conscience is to think that the games for those consoles are quite rare and expensive, plus they are pretty dead machines.
    The Megadrive on the other hand has a vast and plentiful cart supply on ebay, adverts.ie, car boot sales etc, and they are cheap too, so, morally it's less justifiable.

That said, if someone gave me one, I'd probably feel a tad conflicted but I'd get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

powerpakbig.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a flash cart for the Virtual Boy and Vectrex and wouldn't be without them, that said, the way I salve my conscience is to think that the games for those consoles are quite rare and expensive, plus they are pretty dead machines.
    The Megadrive on the other hand has a vast and plentiful cart supply on ebay, adverts.ie, car boot sales etc, and they are cheap too, so, morally it's less justifiable.

That said, if someone gave me one, I'd probably feel a tad conflicted but I'd get over it!

Well said. To be honest, I use the flash mainly to experiment with all the games on the actual hardware, and like you said iin a recent post, if a game is very enjoyable it is worth owning. So if I enjoy a particular game, Ill buy it. I only have the stuff I really want in my collection. Except Snatcher CD (I owned it years ago but sold it to upgrade to the PS1 haha - kids!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

If I buy a cart off ebay the original publisher/developer isn't getting any royalties so I don't feel all that morally obliged to go down that route. I'd buy a couple of new Sega games to compensate.

Master of the Universe

I don't own one yet myself for the above mentioned reasons. Part of 'playing on original hardware' to me also involves the cart. Plus something like this would really take the joy out of collecting games. I recently faced a similar dilemma when I first noticed those MVS multi carts on ebay. In the end I decided against.

However, after saying all that, I'd also like to get one to experiment. Although more to do with unreleased games/homebrew etc.

I love videogames but I'm sort of an anti-collector. I hate cluttering up my space with loads of stuff I'll have to dust/tidy at some point. My CD's and DVD's all go in CD wallets. Having 100's of plastic boxes everywhere would just irritate me. :D

Master of the Universe

I love videogames but I'm sort of an anti-collector. I hate cluttering up my space with loads of stuff I'll have to dust/tidy at some point. My CD's and DVD's all go in CD wallets. Having 100's of plastic boxes everywhere would just irritate me. :D

Annoyingly enough, my girlfriend takes the same stance. Would be why my Megadrive collection is still at home in the parents *sob*

If it was up to me, they'd all be sat nicely on shelving along the wall in the sitting room...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know, if it was up to me though, the living room would be in the attic and the gamesroom in the living room, where it should be!
    But then, I'd be divorced and living in a bedsit somewhere with barely enough room for the DSi, so, maybe I should stop struggling!

The flash cart for the NES looks pretty cool, how many titles can you fit on there?

I also have a flash cart for the GBA, a nifty little thing, ironically enough I mainly play NES and GB Color games via emu on it, it holds 50 odd games for each.

A multicart for the 2600 is out there but rare, also a multicart for the Coleco that looks nice, the 2600 one is about $150 which is a lot, given you'd buy most the games that interest you in the collection for a lot less.

The MVS multicarts seem to be good value, if only they didn't get padded out with mildly modified NeoGeo games, the Jamma multicarts seem to offer spectacular value, but look like PC motherboards loaded with roms, might pick one up nevertheless seeing as I already have a Supergun anyway.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't own one yet myself for the above mentioned reasons. Part of 'playing on original hardware' to me also involves the cart. Plus something like this would really take the joy out of collecting games. I recently faced a similar dilemma when I first noticed those MVS multi carts on ebay. In the end I decided against.

However, after saying all that, I'd also like to get one to experiment. Although more to do with unreleased games/homebrew etc.

Thats the reason why when I DO decide to buy a game/console, it HAS to be fully boxed and in mint condition. Part of the experience is having the box and the manual to accompany the hardware.

I guess i kinda see both sides in this debate, I do recommend flash carts, but I also recommend buying the game if you enjoy it to a certain level.

Is that NES Flash a fully functional one? i.e can play all games/mappers? Id also like to hear more about the 2600 one, Ive done a bit of homework on them and they seem fairly rare....is it a full romset on them of just a mish mash of games?

My girlfriends the precise opposite. She comes from a house of musicians and every room of the house is stacked with CDs, LPs, DVDs, VHS tapes, books and manuscripts. And her wardrobe is large enough to stock several charity shops.

If I'm not using something I have the overpowering urge to give it away or sell it. I hate having stuff I don't use on a regular basis.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Annoyingly enough, my girlfriend takes the same stance. Would be why my Megadrive collection is still at home in the parents *sob*

If it was up to me, they'd all be sat nicely on shelving along the wall in the sitting room...

Do it when she is next working and you have the day off, just have your whole collection on the wall of your sitting room,

A multicart for the 2600 is out there but rare, also a multicart for the Coleco that looks nice, the 2600 one is about $150 which is a lot, given you'd buy most the games that interest you in the collection for a lot less.

Forget that what ya need is this

http://tripoint.org/kevtris/2600/bankzilla.html

Bankzilla_Front.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The flash cart for the NES looks pretty cool, how many titles can you fit on there?

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=34

Looks like as many as yea can fit on a CF card - note, it doesn't support all mappers so all games wont work

Advertisement