Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not recognising the DVD ROM

Options
  • 14-05-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I noticed that the DVD ROM icon was missing in the "my computer" folder of my Sony Vaio laptop. I went into the device manager and saw a yellow exclamation triangle next to the Pioneer disc drive. I tried uninstalling & reinstalling the device but I think there was a problam with the driver. I tried loads of forums but couldn't get any joy so I contacted Sony support and they kindly provided me with the solution.

Restart your computer and keep tapping the F8 key as it boots up. Please select the "Safe Mode" option and press enter.

1) Click Start.

2) Point to All Programs.

3) Point to Accessories.

4) Point to System Tools.

5) Click System Restore.

6) Follow the instructions on the wizard. Please restore the computer back to a date when you know that it was working correctly

Please ensure that the data saved on your Vaio since that restore point, is backed up.

It did the trick for me, hopefully it'll help someone else out too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Click Start
    Collapse this imageExpand this image
    , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Collapse this imageExpand this image
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
    In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
    Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
    In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
    Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
    Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer

Advertisement