Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistic, comparable alternative to CELT qualification?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm very keen to do a TEFL course in the coming months but unfortunately, cannot commit to a four-week course, and part-time weekend versions of same won't work for me either. The most I can manage is a three weeks commitment. I'm very cheesed off as I'd ideally want to do the CELT course because of its international standing etc but my hands are tied for now

I have two questions:

1). Is there a viable alternative course offered in this country, of comparable or near-to standard as the CELT, that I could do in three weeks and work internationally with, without putting myself at a huge disadvantage? I know there's some places you can just teach with your degree alone but I'm only interested in doing this properly!

2). Has anyone travelled abroad without their qualification and done a course in a foreign country? Is that a realistic option for me to consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

There's a CELTA course which is the equivalent and the International House in Dublin churns these course out one after the other so if you google them you'll have a course starting soon.

But I never heard of one of these courses lasting less than 4 weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

2). Has anyone travelled abroad without their qualification and done a course in a foreign country? Is that a realistic option for me to consider?

If you can't take off 4 weeks in Ireland will you really be able to move abroad to take a 4-week course?

It's a very realistic option. A CELTA course in a foreign country is usually taken by expats rather than being aimed at the natives of the country in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Thanks Ponster but what I meant is I'd move abroad to the country where I was thinking of emigrating to, and do the course there before hopefully finding work. The obvious drawback is supporting yourself in a strange land for four weeks with no job to support you...

Advertisement