Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure slices

Options
  • 13-05-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Was in the UK last weekend and popped into Asda to see if I could get my hands on any of the new Pure range.

I managed to find some pure "cheese" slices. They are the individually wrapped ones for going onto burgers and the like.

So I melted two onto some tortilla chips and put one onto my butternut squash burger and they were ok. Obviously they dont actually taste like cheese but they were fine.

There is also a cheese style spread available in the UK Tescos but did not have time to hunt this out.

Will be interesting to see if anywhere will stock them here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, I wonder. They began making their spreads in the 1990s and only in the last few years has it become more widely available in the big supermarkets. Now with all the phasing out of foods out of Tesco, I can't imagine it will be coming in anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I remember seeing the slices in some supermarket over here (Tesco I think). Haven't seen them in a while though.

Old thread, I know. Just wanted to say that I have searched and searched and never found these :( I tried heaps of shops (Tesco and various health food stores) around Dublin, some in Belfast, some in Glasgow and Cardiff too. No luck. Anyone see these at all recently? Anywhere?!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

No, the last time I was in the UK I was in Asda and they were selling them off so I expect they were pulled. Have not been into a HFS in the UK for a while so they might still be there.

You are probably right. Ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

In the UK Waitrose are still selling them, saw them last weekend. I know they were being sold in the health food store ('Here's Health'? I think) in Douglas Court in Cork if anyone's down that way wanting some slices :) Personally didn't like them unless covered in salsa in a wrap, but nice to have options!

ah good to know! yes, it's fun to have the choice of things to try, whatever they taste like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

Is it cheese slices you guys are looking for?
    I know they have some in 'Nourish' on Wicklow Street in Dublin! :)

If that's not what yous meant, ignore me :p

It was this particular brand I was looking for because presumably it would have been available in Tesco, unlike regular fake-cheese slices. Thanks anyway :)

Just to let you guys know I finally found the 'new' Pure slices...
    thickslices.jpg
    and the creamy spread...
    softandcreamy.png
    and the olive spread!
    olivetub.jpg

They were all in Down to Earth on George's St in Dublin City Centre. Nothing special, but bit of fun to have more vegan products available. The creamy spread reminds me of vanilla ice-cream more than Philadelphia spread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

flikflak wrote: »
    So I melted two onto some tortilla chips and put one onto my butternut squash burger and they were ok.
    OK I know I'm quoting an old post here, but when the OP said "melted"... do these actually melt? Unlike Sheese? Because meltiness basically rocks. As does meltability. I'm a big fan of meltatious things actually... :D

I shall carry out some investigations later... However, there isn't much taste in them! You can see from the ingredients that they are mostly water and oil...
    Ingredients: Water, Vegetable Oil, Soya Protein (7%), Potato Starch. Tapioca Starch, Fibre, Emulsifying Salt (Potassium Phosphate), Calcium Phosphate, Sugar, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Stabilisers (Sodium Alginate, Guar Gum), Natural Flavouring, Vinegar, Preservative (Sorbic Acid), Natural Colours (Beta Carotene, Paprika Extract).

You need to try Cheezly Super melting for melty cheese :D
    412345b.jpg

Hiya

Yes, they do kind of melt I think (its a long time ago I had them!) but they kind of just go a bit softer while holding their shape.

I use the toffuti slices on top of tortilla chips and find under the grill these do melt. I find these ones the best for fake melting cheese taste - mind you those day glo "real" cheese singles dont actually taste like cheese do they!!

I know what you mean though about that spread stuff - it is awful I think!

Ok, so, I tried grilling them on toast and they were tastier, but not melted :D

Remember, nothing melts quite like real cheese... *sigh*
    But life goes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I had some Cheezly today, 'snot bad. The best melty fake cheese I've had was grated Tofutti, I found one bag in the Health Store in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, never seen it since.

^ probably a rogue bag that was in their delivery!

Hate that though when you find something new and exciting only for it never to be seen again!

Advertisement