Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional licence

Options
  • 13-05-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

i will be getting my provisional car licence soon(already have theory test passed) but a friend told me that you need 7 driving lessons before you can drive.(he told me this out of personal experience)
    i dont know if he was driving unaccompanied or not but can someone tell me if this is true or if there are any rules relating to this

sound
    cogan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

theres talk of bringing something like this in, but i don't think its in yet. think he's either messing with you or passing on the bull**** that came from the instructors mouth(who has a vested interest).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well your friend has no idea what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

First it's a Learners Permit , not a provisional licence.

There is not rule , yet, on a minimum number of lessons. However, getting some professions lessons to start off is a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

i thought it was bull aswell but his dad is a guard so i took this seriously seeing as he ought to know.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

s-cogan wrote: »
    i thought it was bull aswell but his dad is a guard so i took this seriously seeing as he ought to know.

thanks

Tends to work the opposite way too. Relative being Gardaí means they tend to know bull more often than not, and think it's right. Even a good few Gardaí don't know the law...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

good man donegalfella

sound out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thanks
    It dont work like that lol. My father was a cop and I used to get asked legal advise ha ha. Sure how would I know. Its me father who was the cop not me.

seanybiker wrote: »
    It dont work like that lol. My father was a cop and I used to get asked legal advise ha ha. Sure how would I know. Its me father who was the cop not me.

i understand but twas his parents insurance policy so i assumed he got the idea from his dad i.e.

"im not letting you drive until youve had X amount of lessons."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

The more lessons you can afford, the better. I am learning to drive at the moment, and intend to take at least ten lessons. That may seem like an awful lot at 35 euro a pop, but if it means I learn to drive well and safely then it is an investment that will pay off many times over down the road (excuse the pun) in terms of accidents avoided and lower insurance premiums. There are enough bad drivers on our roads already, and I don't want to be another one. Getting lessons from a relative isn't the same because if they have bad habits then they will just pass them on to you, and they mightn't have the patience a good driving instructor will have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you're booking 10 lessons, I'd be looking for a mega discount.
    Maybe 35 euro is the going rate but haggle for money off if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

i understand but twas his parents insurance policy so i assumed he got the idea from his dad i.e.

"im not letting you drive until youve had X amount of lessons."

I think there may be crossed wires here. As other posters have said driving lessons aren't compulsory, however your friends parents ins co. may be stipulating that he cannot be named on the policy until he provides evidence that he's taken 7 lessons. Some ins companies do this.

Advertisement