Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 1 of my Hamsters Dying?

Options
  • 13-05-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Hi all had "George" over 2 years now he is the father to slightly younger "Michael" anyway for the past few days been very quiet and not much movement, i took him out and took this picture, i feed them well etc fresh water etc but today his eyes are barely open and he seems very bloated kinda cold to touch and he can barely walk usually he is all over the place but now it looks like its very hard nearly impossible for him to walk and he seems to be shaking alot rather than walking and he let me touch his whiskers without a single effort to move his head away etc

1-62.jpg

Is he on the way out?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'd say so, he's at that age anyway where there is not long left either way, just keep him comfortable and give him some space and see how he gets on..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Oh no!:eek::( Thanks for the reply, i dont think he will last until the weekend, im very very sad.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Oh no poor little guy. They do tend to get old very quickly. We had a little fella called Harry, got really attached to him but one day (he was 2yrs old) he didnt come out of his house, He was all curled up in his bedding, looked like he was asleep, think they tend to nod off and not wake up....sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Im sorry to say but it does sound like he is on his last legs, just keep him warm and last the last poster said they usually just go asleep and dont wake up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

This thread is so sad. OP, I hope he pulls through. Hamsters are such cool little dudes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

this same thing happened to my hamster, cold and not moving, by the time i got her to the vet she was awake again, vet told me she was goin into hibernation coz i hadnt given her enough attention (which i hadnt for about a week) she was fine after a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

It doesn't sound so good. He sounds like my Hampton just before he went. Keep him nice and warm and give some nice soft bedding to lie in and make him comfortable. Maybe keep his food near him too.
    It's a sad time, sorry to hear he's sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Keep him nice & warm - but it sounds like he is getting to the end of their very short lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Aw no...hope he gets through. :( I did have a hamster for 4 and a half years a while back, so you never know. Keep him comfortable and see how he gets on.

Hi all, im sorry and saddened to say that George has just died within the past hour:( went in to check on him and Michael had him covered in sawdust whatever like he buried him, im very very sad but thats life i guess, he had a good run anyway.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I am sorry to hear that, and sorry for his little hamster friend. It sounds like George was well looked after and loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Steyr wrote: »
    Hi all, im sorry and saddened to say that George has just died within the past hour:( went in to check on him and Michael had him covered in sawdust whatever like he buried him, im very very sad but thats life i guess, he had a good run anyway.:(
    I am sorry to hear that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Very sorry to hear that, the poor little guy :( It sounds like he had a good life though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Sorry to hear about George. You and Michael have my sympathies. Poor little guy.:(

Thanks everybody, disinfected the whole lot today as much as possible, he was clean and healthy but just to be safe i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Sorry to hear.

Syrian Hamsters arent supposed to be living together anyway.
    they very solitary animals and prefer to live alone.How old is michael?
    did they ever fight?

ive had a hamster live to over 4 years, and bred her 4 times.
    she was treated like a queen with a extra large 4 story cage with everything you could think of in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

RIP George, poor fuzzy fella.

I had a hamster called Snoopy for about three years. He was cool... poor Snoopy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Sorry to hear about your hamster, I lost 2 of mine yesterday.

Tomebagel wrote: »

Syrian Hamsters arent supposed to be living together anyway.
    they very solitary animals and prefer to live alone.How old is michael?
    did they ever fight?

Wow didnt know that as they are father/son Michael is nearly 2 now but no sign of anything bad off him in fact right now on my arm looking at what i type and smelling/sniffing:D

They used to fight a bit but not frequent prob once every few months other than that they worked as a team trying to break out of the cage which they did 3 times successfully.

Advertisement