Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newpark Jazz School?

Options
  • 13-05-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just been offered a place in Newpark's BA in Jazz Performance. Now it's time to carefully look at budget and make some future plans...

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience of Newpark, 1st or 2nd hand. All opinions welcome.

Cheers. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

My second hand knowledge having played with many people who have gone there is that is an excellent college. It is staffed very well and there is a sense of seriousness and professionalism that presides. It is constantly complemented by the poeple who go there..no better compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Nolberto

Cheers Steve, that's consistent with anything I've heard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

Hey man, I'm a student there entering 3rd year. It's a fantastic course, you'll improve very quickly but be warned, it's no cakewalk, you'll be pushed constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 STIX001

I studied there graduating in 2003, the best thing i ever did was accept a place in that course, i went as a predominantly rock/blues guitar player wanting to learn jazz and came out totally compentent in contemporary music and music in general,
    but as said already its no walkover, its hours a night of study and practice,
    but you get moneys worth and then some, the best music course by far
    in the country. plus your tought by world acclaimed musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I meant to post in this thread a while ago - I have a few friends who are studying there and they really enjoy it. They've improved hugely over the year aswell. It's a fairly tight ship though, as some of the above have said. A lot of study/practice, and a fairly steep learning curve in second year or so I've heard. If you're willing to committ to the workload - and the fees! - then you will be very well rewarded with a great jazz, and overall music, education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Thought I'd just add that one of the Jazz school's teachers is currently teaching me the joys of the guitar. He's an absolutely excellent teacher and he really spurs me on to pick up the axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Nolberto

Cheers for the words yall!

Everyone I've spoken to emphasizes the demanding workload so I'm ready to have my brain fried, squashed & stretched (in that order)... Working on some basics in my weaker areas at the moment, really want to hit the ground running and get as much out of it as possible. The mature student thing might be a bit weird though.... hmmm, better start shaving again.

By the way, if anyone needs a drummer gimme a shout....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I was in Newpark, it was the hardest thing I've ever done and the best thing I've ever done. Couldn't recommend it highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hey,

Once again another recommendation for Newpark! I was there a few years ago and it was the best thing I've done to date in terms of study and development. The masterclasses alone are a great experience! Steve Colemen, Rick Peckham, Keith Copeland!

All the people are correct about the study and practice but if you don't want to play your instrument all the time and learn to be a better musician you wouldn't be going in the first place, so that's no big deal really!!

Fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'm currently doing a BMus at teh moment, and I'm strongly thinking of starting this course in a couple of years. (Play piano, but hoping to achieve a high enough level of drums).

A question for the graduates really: Are you guys still gigging, and is there a strong emphasis on this aspect? Is there an opportunity for a year abroad?

• Advertisement
Advertisement