Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirits visiting in the night

Options
  • 13-05-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

My partner lives in an old house just off lower Dorset St. in Dublin, and recently she had an experience with some spirits.

As she lay in a half-awake, half-asleep state, she became aware of the presence of an old woman in the room. The old woman stayed for a while, and left through the door. After this, a young boy came into the room. He was dressed in very old fashioned clothes and seemed to want to communicate. She asked him to sit on the bed, and asked him about himself, if he is ok, etc. She says that he was not sad, but seemed to want something. When she tried to ask him more questions, her physical body became more awakened, and she gradually woke up. The presence was gone, but the door to her room was left opened (she says she'd closed and locked it that night).

She doesn't seem to be frightened of these presences, and doesn't want to either prove or disprove that there are ghosts in her house, but she wants to know what is the best way to help these presences (that is if they need help at all). I suggested that perhaps they are lost souls who want to communicate somehow? Or perhaps they need help, love or guidance? She is just curious about what she should do in this situation, because she feels they have decided to go to her, for whatever reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

First thing i would do if I was her would be to sit quietly and address them out loud. Ok chances are they wont answer but still, address them and ask what the want.

Step 2 (if needed) ask someone with some experiences to come and take a look - and I dont mean in a "either prove or disprove that there are ghosts in her house" kinda way. I'd be happy enough to take a look if you wanted to drop me a PM?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In her place, Id just accept their presence and acknowledge it. You already say she is not interested in proving or disproving their presence, she just trusts her own senses, and that to me is enough. Simply say a mental or vocal 'hello' and accept them being there, meet their presence with love and acceptance. Theyre probably not all that 'lost', maybe they just like hanging about and making her aware of them. But by meeting their minds with an attitude of love, then if they have something they need or wish to share, she should become aware of it. (being as she sounds pretty open anyway). Trust what she feels from them, but dont become a crusader who feels the need to 'fix' them, is what Id advise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Sounds like she was dreaming tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i concur - its very hard to work out if experiences when someone is on the edge of sleep is real or a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Dagon wrote: »
    When she tried to ask him more questions, her physical body became more awakened, and she gradually woke up.

There is the clue. She was asleep and in some sort of dreaming state, and it wasn't her physical body that became more awakened, it was her mental state that became awakened. She was also probably lucid dreaming which would be a very real type of dream that the person can somewhat control. However, usually with these type of dreams the more you try and control them the more active the brain can become and you can wake up. That sounds exactly like what happened here.

The fact the door was open is irrelavent, as there could be a number of explanations for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just curious, what end of Dorset St it was?
    My grandmother grew up very near Dorset St for the first few years of her life and claimed that ghosts visited her in the night / very early morning, the interesting thing is the little bit you mentioned actually matches the description she told her family.

Edit, sorry just saw you wrote "Lower Dorset St" (was busy watching United lose), she lived up the Summerhill end, which would be the same area.
    You don't know by any chance what they looked like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I went to college in Summerhill and had a few experiences myself. Was based in St. Joseph's Convent there on the corner of portland row.

Noopti wrote: »
    There is the clue. She was asleep and in some sort of dreaming state, and it wasn't her physical body that became more awakened, it was her mental state that became awakened.

Problem solved, No need for investigation or to discuss it further :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

+1 re dreaming.. Sleep Paralysis/Hag Phenominon.. I often get it.. Can be quite confusing and scary..

Advertisement