Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad job carried out, want someone to review it (in Cork)

Options
  • 13-05-2009 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, recently I had a window removed and French doors put in its place. The thing is I think yer man who did it made a mess of it. The job just looks messy and careless and I want to get him back to sort it out.

However I've never had work like this done before so I would rather a third party (someone who is familiar with what such a job entails) to come and have a look at the job and provide me with proper criticism on the job and with proper recommendations on how it should have been carried out properly.

Then with this information I will be able to go back to the lad who did it and give him a proper earful.

Can anyone recommend someone in Cork (Douglas/Passage area) who might be interested in this? Obviously someone like a builder who had put in doors/windows is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 liam300tm

if it looks wrong, it is wrong, no amount of reasons excuse sloppy workmanship.

you shouldn't need a second opinion, just call the guy tell him your not happy with some details of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

liam300tm wrote: »
    if it looks wrong, it is wrong, no amount of reasons excuse sloppy workmanship.

you shouldn't need a second opinion, just call the guy tell him your not happy with some details of his work.

yes, you are right but I would like to be armed with the proper reasons for my complaint, otherwise he will try to fob me off with some lame excuse.

I would even try to explain my concerns here but it's hard to describe in words, pictures might help I know! I just want a second opinion, even someone who has had similar work carried out would be helpful to take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Can u post some pics please?

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Can u post some pics please?

yes, I'll take a few when I get home this evening.

OK folks, sorry for not updating some pics sooner but here we go. I'll try to describe my concerns as I add the pics...

NOTE: The house is a timber framed house, in case ye need to know.

Point 1: There used to be a wall and a window but now in it's place is a set of French doors. Now the lad put down a saddle (not sure if that's the right term) over the original cavity (marked by red lines ) between the walls. Is that the right thing to do in this case? The saddle isn't even secured and it sort of flips down into the cavity if you know what I mean.

Pic here: 3542861028_4461b59030_o.jpg

Point 2: Bad cement work! There are 'bubbles' in the cement and also along the edges there are gaps between the frame and the wall/cement!

Gaps at top sealing:3542861044_6ab65f1162_o.jpg

Bubbles and poor finishing3542861042_0cdc39ff05_o.jpg

More gaps at top of frame 3542861044_6ab65f1162_o.jpg

Cracking and crumbling in the cement along the base 3542861038_3d73d1e998_o.jpg

Finally, more gaps along the side 3542861036_10137a9650_o.jpg

Finally, here's an overall view of the doors:
    3545556352_3039cab272_b.jpg

So, that's it!
    Am I justified in being miffed with the work done?

My main concerns are:

1. Drafts due to doors not sealed.
    2. Is the door even securely mounted to the wall??
    3. Should something have been done better with the cavity, see the first pic
    above.

Feedback would be great folks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

From the photographs above, you are correct, in your assumption that the finishing is poor. However, if the detail at the base of the door is carried around the perimeter of the door (jambs and head), your contractor did not close off the cavity (which he should have). I would also question whether there was any vertical dpc installed? if not you could potentially have a breach in the cavity (water ingress).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Visible errors too numerouse to mention. I would be worried about DPC above doors as much as vertically both sides of doors. Gaps between frames and plaster would normally be sealed.
    It's not a huge job to remove plaster, fit DPCs, close cavity with insulation, expanding foam around door frame, re-fit door if necessary and plaster jambs again.

Bad job
    Just to build on what was suggested already, can you tell us if the ope was widened all way round or was the window sill just cut out and the bottom section of the TF just cut out.

While the word plaster is used, i dont think it was plastered but the ope was cast in concrete and the door just 'slid' into place.

TF not my area but what do the other windows look like?
    The damp on top is, IMO, caused by the water running down the dash and being stopped by the reveal is running back between the concrete and the wall render.

Is the saddle water stained or just grain in timber?

Bad job
    Just to build on what was suggested already, can you tell us if the ope was widened all way round or was the window sill just cut out and the bottom section of the TF just cut out.

While the word plaster is used, i dont think it was plastered but the ope was cast in concrete and the door just 'slid' into place.

The damp on top is, IMO, caused by the water running down the dash and being stopped by the reveal is running back between the concrete and the wall render.

Is the saddle water stained or just grain in timber?

I'm a little confused by your post :o
    What does TF mean?
    The saddle is just like that due to the grain in the timber.
    You are mentioning water and damp, I've never mentioned that but I suppose yes, water intake/damp may become an issue if the doors were badly put in but as of yet I've yet to see any such problems with moisture.

thanks to all who have contributed to this.
    I can't really answer your questions as I don't really understand them to be honest!
    I would like to get someone in to take a look at the doors and give me an idea on work needed to fix this mess.

Would you guys suggest a builder or someone from a window fitters etc?
    I don't want to go back to the guy who did the work until I know exactly what the problem is otherwise he will just do another quick patched up job and I won't know any better!

Thanks in advance folks.

• Advertisement

I'm a little confused by your post :o
    What does TF mean?
    The saddle is just like that due to the grain in the timber.
    You are mentioning water and damp, I've never mentioned that but I suppose yes, water intake/damp may become an issue if the doors were badly put in but as of yet I've yet to see any such problems with moisture.

TF is timber frame.

I am assuming that the staining on the reveals in the pictures is due to rainwater. If it is not water staining then what is it, in your opinion?

I may be wrong.

The door is not weather sealed against the concrete reveals and my concern, which I believe the others who commented share, is that the rain/ is/will find its way into the timber frame part of the house due to the lack of a DPC (damp proof course) and the cavity in the wall between the outer wall layer and inner timber frame la anf yer not being bridged.

While u may not understand the 'tech' can u tell us if the whole ope was widened/ raised in height to accommodate the door or what?

TF is timber frame.

I am assuming that the staining on the reveals in the pictures is due to rainwater. If it is not water staining then what is it, in your opinion?

I may be wrong.

The door is not weather sealed against the concrete reveals and my concern, which I believe the others who commented share, is that the rain/ is/will find its way into the timber frame part of the house due to the lack of a DPC (damp proof course) and the cavity in the wall between the outer wall layer and inner timber frame la anf yer not being bridged.

While u may not understand the 'tech' can u tell us if the whole ope was widened/ raised in height to accommodate the door or what?

thanks for clearing up some of the terms.
    I know they widened the opening on one side but they didn't increase the height as far as I know.

Can anyone recommend a reputable person to come and give me an honest assessment of what needs to be carried out??
    Thanks lads!

I'm not sure what the staining is on the saddle, suppose it could be damp, I can't think of any other reason for it!
    God I'm livid with the monkey that did this work and annoyed with myself for not copping this sooner. I want to get this all sorted before winter.

On reflection, maybe the pics we are seeing are of the original precast outer wall of the TF and maybe the bubbles etc were there from the beginning.

I am no where near Cork so cant help with names

On reflection, maybe the pics we are seeing are of the original precast outer wall of the TF and maybe the bubbles etc were there from the beginning.

I am no where near Cork so cant help with names

no, the bubbles only appeared after they put in the door, that I do know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

no, the bubbles only appeared after they put in the door, that I do know.

You're right to keep on top of this one - you should get it sorted ASAP - otherwise, the 'cowboy' will try to wriggle out of righting the wrongs.

If you haven't had any other good suggestions, you could always try a BER Assessor....

www.sei.ie/BER has a list of registered Assessors, and you could shop around for a quote. Explain to them upfront what you need - and sure, it might be worth getting the rest of the house checked also.

Best of luck.

blindsider wrote: »
    You're right to keep on top of this one - you should get it sorted ASAP - otherwise, the 'cowboy' will try to wriggle out of righting the wrongs.

If you haven't had any other good suggestions, you could always try a BER Assessor....

www.sei.ie/BER has a list of registered Assessors, and you could shop around for a quote. Explain to them upfront what you need - and sure, it might be worth getting the rest of the house checked also.

Best of luck.

thanks for the info blindsider. Yes, the lad who did it is not getting back to me (surprise surprise). I just feel annoyed cos he did a decent job with everything else and I know he had some other lad do this job for him but I'm annoyed that he never stood over the work and demanded it be done properly.

Would a BER assessor be the right person to have a look at this? I suppose I could also get him to look at the other windows in the house, some bad drafts coming from some of the older windows I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I don't see how a BEr assesor would help unless s/he has a construction background.

I don't see how a BEr assesor would help unless s/he has a construction background.

that's what I was thinking! Sure they can write me a report but that won't fix my problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

From your original post:

(someone who is familiar with what such a job entails) to come and have a look at the job and provide me with proper criticism on the job and with proper recommendations on how it should have been carried out properly.

As I said, if you haven't had any luck elsewhere, ring a few BER Assessors, and pick the most suitable. Explain the situation - they will at least be able to tell you if the job is completed to current standards - if it's not, you can go to the contractor with a professional opinion to back yours up.

Tell the contractor that if he doesn't respond in 1 week, you'll be seeing him in the Small Claims Court. (It'll cost you €15 to initiate.)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court

BuilderFrom Hell - did you have another suggestion? Your post didn't include one.

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    From your original post:

(someone who is familiar with what such a job entails) to come and have a look at the job and provide me with proper criticism on the job and with proper recommendations on how it should have been carried out properly.

As I said, if you haven't had any luck elsewhere, ring a few BER Assessors, and pick the most suitable. Explain the situation - they will at least be able to tell you if the job is completed to current standards - if it's not, you can go to the contractor with a professional opinion to back yours up.

Tell the contractor that if he doesn't respond in 1 week, you'll be seeing him in the Small Claims Court. (It'll cost you €15 to initiate.)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court

BuilderFrom Hell - did you have another suggestion? Your post didn't include one.

yes, you have a point there and thanks for the input. I might just do the BER thing, no harm I suppose, and then contact the lad who did the original work.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

BER stands for building energy rateing i cant see how they would be able to help you the right person for the job is a snagger and i would be getting a engineer to check to see if the proper support is in around the window they made wider

paul127 wrote: »
    BER stands for building energy rateing i cant see how they would be able to help you the right person for the job is a snagger and i would be getting a engineer to check to see if the proper support is in around the window they made wider

and that brings me back to the OP, can you recommend someone reputable?

Advertisement