Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken iPhone - Help please

Options
  • 12-05-2009 11:37pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So a friend of mine has dropped his iPhone and broken the screen.

The iPhone is a o2 UK model unlocked for use with Vodafone Ireland.

My friend has insurance with o2 UK, but the question is will they repair it or replace it (or give cash) and if they replace it, I would assume it would have newer firmware and therefore couldn't be unlocked?

Any advice on what he can do?

Also can an iPhone Ireland contract sim work in a locked o2-uk iPhone.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You can get the screen fixed. There are ebay services that do it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just a quick update, my friend went to the Apple Store in Belfast and they replaced the screen for a fee. I think it was €150 but that included some accessories.

I really don't understand why there isn't an Apple Store in Dublin, it would be brilliant if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

bk wrote: »
    Just a quick update, my friend went to the Apple Store in Belfast and they replaced the screen for a fee. I think it was €150 but that included some accessories.

I really don't understand why there isn't an Apple Store in Dublin, it would be brilliant if there was.

Yes it would solve most of Irelands problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

Hi. I broke my screen a while back and fixed it myself. It's not all that difficult.

If the touch-screen works and display is intact dispite being cracked, then most likely only the glass digitiser is damaged. If part of the display is garbled then the LCD is broken also. I had to fix both.

Check Youtube for repair guides. There are some very good ones.

Digitiser on EBay was about €35. LCD was about €25. Get the digitiser that comes with the glue panels.

Basically the procedure is as follows:
    Remove the two small screws at the connecter,
    gently pry out the glass front of the unit,
    disconnect the connections to the motherboard,
    and lift the glass front unit out. This contains the LCD and the digitiser.
    Remove the four screws from the sides of this unit and carefully separate the LCD and digitiser.
    The digitiser is in a plastic surround and is solidly held in place with glue so heat the piece with a hairdryer to soften the glue and carefully separate.
    Wipe off any glue.
    Using the double-sided stickey glue tape that came with the new screen, attach this to the surround and reassemble the IPhone.

I can't remember how I replaced the LCD but it was easier than replacing the digitiser-glass screen. Check out Youtube as I said.

While you are on EBay you could look at the protective cases that are available. It could be a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

Theres a place on south anne st. dublin 2 called Techmenders, they are a branch of Fonemenders and they repair iPhones that are not covered under warranty.

http://www.techmenders.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement