Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you name your pet?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Two kittens will be arriving at my house in a week or so and I'm trying to decide what to name them :)
    My two previous cats named themselves but this will be the first time I'll be getting little kittens so, how did you choose the name for you pet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

We got two kittens in 2005, one was the runt of the litter and quite small. For the first couple of days we had them she insisted on climbing up my back and sitting on my shoulder so she could see what I was doing, be it washing the dishes, on the computer etc.

I thought it was like having a parrot , so I called her "Polly" :D

Her brother was named by my girlfriend, she wanted something unique for him so she gave him a human name "Henry". The neighbours used to think we had kids when we were calling them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I named my cat after her markings. She's a black cat mainly, but half of her face is ginger, and she has a white chest, belly and little white socks. The rest of her coat is black with ginger flecks throughout. She reminded me of Halloween and autumn, so I settled on Samhain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have two cats which we got late in the year, not long before Christmas. The original plan was to call them Holly and Ivy, but when we got them home their characters became more apparent, and we kept one of them as Holly .. she was a little shy, a very "girly" cat, and the name just seemed to suit her, but the other was, and still is, a feisty little thing, still very cute, but more of a tomboy, so she got the name Buffy, as in the vampire slayer, as she spent most of her time leaping into the air attacking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Aww all good names. I think we'll have to live with them for a bit before we can name them. The cat next door/our outside cat is called Gary, so the new kittens might end up being called regular person names too!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I named my Goldfish " BOB".
    Think about it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I had a fish called Mr Fishy too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

When we got our new pup, she was black but had white patches, one of which was on her chest. When you look at it, is in the shape of a star..

Therefore, we called her Star :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I named my first cat 'Friend' as I'd got her for my third birthday and my parents made the unfortunate choice to let me name her. My neighbours and friends (people, not the cat) got quite a kick out of it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it!!
    My second cat, 'Lola', was named for the Kinks song (I'm aware it's about a transvestite) playing on the radio as I was driving her home from the DSPCA.
    My third, 'Pebbles', was named for my father's first girlfriends cat. Mother wasn't too happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Our cat is a rescue cat - as a kitten she appeared in our garden with a broken hip and we never managed to find her owners. My husband hates cats (his mum is terrified of them - spot the connection) but he couldn't send her away. After a couple of weeks he'd sit in the garden with her in his lap and give her loads of hugs, she's such a charmer she had him in love with her. So I named her Kachiko after a character in a game we play who was reknowned for being able to wrap men around her little finger. :)

Don't panic about a name straight away - it could take a couple of days before your pets character and personality become clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 marls

Got a goldfish recently - my 4 year old nephew named it....Fry....classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Our cat who we had for 10 years was called Star, she was black but had a white fleck in between her eyes. The dog whos 13...i have actually no idea how we named her Bonny which is strange but prob because shes a "bonny" dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Name them something unusual

My dog is named after the bear in the big blue house ( kids show )
    Lemur called - Treelo ...

What about Pip and Pop ...cool names

If we get another dog at any stage ...we will be calling it ojo ...love that to

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

well i had a canary bird... named him hawk.... kinda like the whole calling a big man tiny type thing ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My mother and I went through every letter of the alphabet and we disagreed on everything until we got to Z and she suggested Zak. So my little doggy is Zak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

CutzEr wrote: »
    When we got our new pup, she was black but had white patches, one of which was on her chest. When you look at it, is in the shape of a star..

Therefore, we called her Star :D

I have a Star too, but different reason for picking the name...

We were driving home after picking him up and were going through names when my OH looked up and said "oh look at that big star" and the puppy looked at him (he had been asleep) so we named him Star.

He's our little Super Star :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

My old cat looked like Thomas O'Malley the ally cat from aristocats, so ended up calling her Sally cat :P.

My new pup was originally going to be called Belle but after watching the dog whisperer and hearing the name Millie it just seemed to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

our first girl was black w/ white underbelly and paws... looked like she was wearing a tuxedo, so she's Tux

second one we were lazy... couldn't think of a name, so he's Neko, which is Japanese for cat

third one, she has a brown bottom lip that sticks out a bit, so it always looks like she's got a pout, and she's a very girly girl. So she's Eva Longpurria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Our old Jack Russel was born in our neighbours house nearly the exact minute that Kevin Sheedy scored the goal against England in the World Cup 1990. My Dad thought we were all screaming because Ireland had scored but it was because the first pup was born. We had to call him Sheedy. I don't think Kevin would have had the same ring to it.:D

Then our King Charles Cara, my Mam picked her name.

The worst was my sister got a dog when I was 2 and she named it Kylie. The worst part was it was a boy!

Then we got Chang, our little vagabond dog, He was named by the kids who owned him. It means elephant in thai.

Then my cat Jessicat looks like post man pats cat so I added a "t".

Then my staffie foster was called Betty in the pound but it was too old for her as she is only 3 so I changed her name to Bessie which suits her much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

So she's Eva Longpurria
    Hahaha!!

My dogs:
    Neala - hubby liked it- I think he got it from ER...
    Denali - a mountain in Alaska.
    Juneau - the capital of Alaska
    Sitka - a town in Alaska

Guess where hubby and I went on honeymoon....?
    My cats:
    Giles - named after the librarian in Buffy....when we thought she was a boy!! Suited her so we kept it.
    Simba - hand reared ginger boy, a real survivor, strong looking so it was a choice between Mufasa and Simba from the Lion King
    Alaska - Simba's sister.... (see dog's names above) birthday is the day hubby proposed
    Sparrow - cos she was no more than a tiny sparrowfart when we took her in
    Carrie - named after my first cat who was also jet black and very pretty
    Blaze - Carrie's daughter, a very dark tortie born with a prominent blaze of deep red on her forehead
    Noodles - My 12 yr old always wanted a pet called Noodles, no particular reason- she just likes the name, and I finally gave in!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

my 2 year old named our female black and white cat 'Blue' :confused: oddly enough it suits her!

my boyfriend called our older male 'Muggs' after his favourite musician.... but he's usually called 'Muggsy' even by him

and my 4 year old (well, she was 3 at the time) called our younger male 'Petie' after the dog in her favourite book... again :confused: !

other cats i've had have been;
    Scruffy (he was filthy when i took him in as a feral kitten, oddly enough after a few months he was the cleanest cat you ever met, he could walk across a flooded muddy garden and come in with clean paws!
    Max... as in Max Power from the simpsons (dp's surname is Power) and his mother Suki who was a feral who stayed with us for a few weeks, gave birth on my couch to a kitten we called Maurice and ran off with the kitten in her mouth a few weeks later. Max stayed for 4 years before rehoming himself somewhere, he visits occasionally but i can't figure out where he's gone... whatever old lady it is must feed him well though, he's verging on obese when i see him now :(
    Charlie
    Mica and Phantom (brother and sister)
    Nancy (a boy!) and Peter noTail (after the character in a cartoon who was also b&w with no tail)..... in my defense i was 9!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

oh, and i had a goldfish called Imhotep.

i got him when i was 17 and living with friends, my first pet away from home.

my best friend and i came up with the name when we were stoned (it's an eygytian gods name) but kept forgetting when we sobered up what we'd called him! eventually he got a friend who was studying classical studies at uni to write down the names of all the eygyptian gods and we recognised it when we saw it... rather bizarrely Imhotep is the eygyptian god of medicine :O

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We have two Gerbils,
    I have called one Ger and the other Bill, no idea why really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Far too many animals to give the reasons for all of their names:D

The ones I particularly like though are: Murphy - got her as a puppy, an ad for Guinness came on the telly, didn't think I could stand in the park calling Guinness, so went through other beers and came up with Murphys.

Didge, we think is an Australian shepherd cross, so short for didgeredoo (sp).

Meg is short for Megabyte, when she was a kitten she would always insist on sitting on the pc's keyboard. Her name was supposed to change as she got bigger:p

Neelix - well Trekkies will know that one.

Our most recent addition, Vincent. He only has one ear, his mum bit it off when he was a tiny little puppy. Think about it. We then named his litter mate Banksy, in keeping with the artistic theme, but when he was rehomed his new owners changed his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

My border collie pup has two different coloured eyes so I named him Bowie:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 westwoodgym

I used to have dog, and his name was just Peti...simple ha :)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

With our first dog i said ''i want to call him Woofie''. My husband just looked and said '' what are you? two?'' . But he stayed woofie aka woofinator ( coz he has Treminator's stare).
    Our second rescue was named Sasha in WSPCA and it really suits her so it stayed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

My two cats arrived to us as rescues at about 1yr old.
    The male had only one eye so I called him "Sully" and the female has black eye patches that reminded us of the face paint worn by Gene Simmons from "Kiss" so we called her "Genie"

Both suit their names perfectly and I'm sure something will come to you and they'll name themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Sosa wrote: »
    My dog is named after the bear in the big blue house ( kids show )
    Lemur called - Treelo ...

What about Pip and Pop ...cool names

If we get another dog at any stage ...we will be calling it ojo ...love that to

LOVE that show!! My Degus were named Pip & Pop (coz of the show and my mam liked Pippen & Poppen!)

My 1st cat was orangy colour and she was named Bumble (same orange as in a bumble bee)

Next cat was Mowgli after the fella in the Jungle book. My mam hated that I named him after the human and not one of the animals but it suited him so much!! He always thought he was something other than a cat (usually a dog or human!) and was so cheeky!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

giddybootz wrote: »
    Next cat was Mowgli after the fella in the Jungle book. My mam hated that I named him after the human and not one of the animals but it suited him so much!! He always thought he was something other than a cat (usually a dog or human!) and was so cheeky!!

We had a dog called Mowgli, I love that name for an animal. Apparently it actually means little frog (can't remember where I got that little nugget of info)

• Advertisement
Advertisement