Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up skype as a home phone

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'd like tos et up skype as my landline at home. i believe this is possible, but i have questions:

- will the computer need to be on all the time?
    - can i assign a standard 01 number to my account (you con do this with blueface apparently)
    - are there any known issues with apple airport expresses and skype? its not the greatest wireless router in the world and i'd have no porblem upgrading it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

The computer does need to be on all the time for this.

Blueface can assign any geographical prefix, 01 for Dublin, 046 Meath etc.

Not sure about the router (we use Cisco linksys) but one of the others should be able to help there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

You can get some skype phones that work over wifi, ethernet etc, that do not require a computer to work. I dont think you can port your number to skype. But you can get a new geographical number.

I just got rid of my landline. But I signed up with blueface, this allowed me to keep my landline number. Also I bought an ata, so I can just use my existing phones.

Advertisement