Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No. of Taxis in Navan?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a rough number of how many we have? I have a top secret biz idea focusing primarily on our taxis first but google hasn't turned up a result for me.

Thanks for any help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

Dont mean to sound like a smart ass or a racist.

Get a taxi driver that has lived in the town for years (make sure the driver is white) and get chatting to them and say it in passing. I have not got a taxi in ages but the driver will chat and tell you around how many there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

300 to 350, way too much :)

Give me a job also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

multiply Pi by 476.568878722, add the cost of a pint of milk in 1946 and divide by the number of dickheads in the dail.

That should give you a close enough answer.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Access wrote: »
    multiply Pi by 476.568878722, add the cost of a pint of milk in 1946 and divide by the number of dickheads in the dail.

That should give you a close enough answer.

:D
    Good answer ! probably that many, more taxis in Navan than you can shake a stick at, again not being rasict but i think there has been a take over of the navan taxi busniess by west africans, as far as i see they're decent lads, I do wonder however why is it that they can pick up fares in Navan when the plate is registered in Drogheda... Anyone know the answer to that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I doubt if there's much more than 100 taxis in Navan town itself, the ranks look full any night over the weekend (going back up Trimgate st.) but there's never more than 30 cars there.

Lots of them only work weekends for some reason so it does tend to look crowded.

PS asking any locak taxi will of course result in the hundreds of foreign invaders speech, the same thing happened a few years earlier when the Dubs arrived. :P

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    I doubt if there's much more than 100 taxis in Navan town itself, the ranks look full any night over the weekend (going back up Trimgate st.) but there's never more than 30 cars there.

Lots of them only work weekends for some reason so it does tend to look crowded.

PS asking any locak taxi will of course result in the hundreds of foreign invaders speech, the same thing happened a few years earlier when the Dubs arrived. :P
    I remember a time that there was only Murphy's cabs on Ludlow st and you would have to wait in the office until a cab returned from a run. There was a serious shortage of taxis, maybe that was the thinking behind flooding the town with them since then, On a positive note you'd never be stuck for a taxi on a weekend night which has to be a good thing for girls to get home safely and to get the bowsies and troublesmakers home and out of the way quicker...IMHO

Wiley1 wrote: »
    I remember a time that there was only Murphy's cabs on Ludlow

WOW you are showing your age. Did you have a wireless in your house to??? HAHA.

There is well over 100 taxi's in the town i would say. You only have to be around the town on a Saturday night and see how many are around. There is some drivers that would not be out to.

And remember taxi drivers dont need to signal when driving, they own the road, or is it they think they do...... always get confused on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Good answer ! probably that many, more taxis in Navan than you can shake a stick at, again not being rasict but i think there has been a take over of the navan taxi busniess by west africans, as far as i see they're decent lads, I do wonder however why is it that they can pick up fares in Navan when the plate is registered in Drogheda... Anyone know the answer to that one?
    The SPSV Licence that the driver holds is for the area known as Meath - Louth. A lot of countys are bi-county licences.

I remember a time that there was only Murphy's cabs on Ludlow st and you would have to wait in the office until a cab returned from a run. There was a serious shortage of taxis, maybe that was the thinking behind flooding the town with them since then, On a positive note you'd never be stuck for a taxi on a weekend night which has to be a good thing for girls to get home safely and to get the bowsies and troublesmakers home and out of the way quicker...IMHO
    Yeah, i am old, 32, maybe i was let out on the town when i was very young, explains a lot. We only got the wireless in 94, changed my life listenening to Atlantic 252fm....:-)

Back to the point, I didn't know that Meath/Louth shared areas, that makes sense. Either way my sister paid a serious amount of money for her Taxi plate and now they are available for feck all, and some of the cars that are used are heaps of sh*te.....

Might see can I buy an oul 95 corrolla and a taxi plate and hit the town for a few pound of a Saturday night...1 more taxi on the road won't matter....:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Theres 350.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Theres 350.
    350 in Navan alone? Or could they be working elsewhere? That seems high, not disagreeing, just seems like alot.

Edit: Which is the best (most reliable) taxi company in Navan for airport runs?

IIMII wrote: »
    Which is the best (most reliable) taxi company in Navan for airport runs?

If you are looking for a taxi to the airport. I would say it to one of the drivers and not ring a company. You may get a better deal and you know who will be turning up

Theres 350.

No - there's not, thta's just the number of licenses, was out in town last saturday night and counted 34 on the ranks at 9.30 ish.

No - there's not, thta's just the number of licenses, was out in town last saturday night and counted 34 on the ranks at 9.30 ish.

That is alot around the town on a week night, and that does not include the Taxi's that are on jobs.

Would the town hall have numbers on Taxi plates in Navan. Not including the Taxi's that are from else where orking in the town.

donmaga1 wrote: »
    That is alot around the town on a week night, and that does not include the Taxi's that are on jobs.

Would the town hall have numbers on Taxi plates in Navan. Not including the Taxi's that are from else where orking in the town.

It's very easy, just take a walk around the town, you'll see plenty, but nowwhere near 300

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

300 to 350, way too much :)

Nobody's forcing them to stay in the market...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Major employers in Nyavan - The Three T's - Tesco, Tara Mines and the Taxi Regulator

Advertisement