Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not sure that this is a good idea, but I got it anyway...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

+1 on the pics.

Hard to tell until you see it. Miles are big, but not a dealbreaker if its been looked after. I'd be looking at a replacement timing chain being fitted if theres no record of a replacement.

Rust is the main thing to look for. Sills (esp. jacking points) ,underbody, battery tray and bulkhead, boot & door hinges, etc..

Also, most gearboxs on a 230 were auto. Havent seen that many with a manual.

Hope it works out for you. I have a saloon w123, which i love driving. Always fancied an estate though - if I ever come on the right one, id be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

Thanks for the info - I was aware of all o the pitfalls except the timing chain...

If you're looking for a wrong one I have a 200t 1984 that I'll be trying to get rid of soon.

Only needs
    Clutch
    New suspension spheres
    Centre exhaust box
    a 'little' bit of body work

I had the engine tuned before christmas and was told that it was a 'sweet' engine

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Regarding the opening post - if you can get a w123 with a good body I think they can last indefinitely provided the mechanical maintenance is done.

I think that it's way better than a spares car. It's currently on the road, two trips to Donegal in the last month never missed a beat, and the only reason that I'm replacing it is that I wanted 7 seats which the new one has and that I never want it to have to go through an NCT again after the way they treated it the last time - the guy had a screwdriver that he bashed into the doors and chassis with a fair amount of force - when the screwdriver went through the skin he proceeded to inform me that this was a fail item and needed to be fixed. But what with the 5 points and the €1500 fine I think that it's about time to trade sideways.

What parts are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Best of luck with it and hope it works out for you. Either way, its another potential piece of scrap being saved and given a new lease of life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Wow it least it has a bit of history to go with it. Really high miles, the highest i've seen in a long time, but those old mercs are bullet proof. Sure if the worst comes to worst, you can transplant a younger engine into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Delighted for you and it looks great. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

maybe better throwing the money into the one you have,you will still have to nct this one anywayand get the extra seat,better the devil you know........beware of chrome arches on mercedes..........good luck with it

So,flew into Cardiff yesterday got picked up by Jules who was storing the car in a mate's garden.

I had asked him not to start it before I got there as I wanted to see a cold start. I checked the body it seems in very fair cond - good wings and arches, jacking points solid, no big dings on the panels - the only issue is that it needs a respray - although I'lll settle with a T-Cut and a polish.

The interior is fairly poor though, need two front seats re-upholstered.

So I asked him to start it up and give it welly as I stood behind, not too much smoke at all and certainly not blue or white. That's good I think. The rear rose as expected and all looked good -to me anyway.

I took it for a spin 4 speed Manual - great pickup way more than my 200t and almost as good as my 280e - the gears are interesting in forth at 75 the engine is doing about 3,000 rpm which is probably what it shold be doing, the economy wasn't affected by the lack of fifth (obviously the ratios are dfferent).

So I bought it - a slght issue with the documents as the seller hadn't proof that it was transferred into his name but a quick call to the DVLA sorted that out for me.

And then home.
    Cruised with traffic no problem on the motorways never missed a beat, there was a traffic jam and I thought that we might overheat, but the temp never went above 90.

Or so I thought.
    Irish Ferries decided to do some major repairs in Pembroke dock and the boat left six and a half hours late. so much or a quick in and out.

Made it home to the city centre from Rosslare in about 1hr 50, again no issues at all. I'm delighted.

Next VRT, Tax, NCT and all of the other fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

w123 wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110386395299&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

I liked the honest description, and have spoken to the seller who seems like a genuine enthusiast. I have bought it with the proviso that if it's not as described I can walk away.

Pictures are useless.

Any opinions?

Congratulations! It looks like a great machine! Welcome to the 123T Club :D. And what the colour! It is probably 880 Agavengrun or 875 Mangogrun. Fine car, not a Diesel, but cool anyway. Has she got the sliding roof?
    Good Luck and get her on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Excellent !

I'm very jelous right now, a solid W123 T Series for thst price !

Advertisement