Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's been to croatia?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    I'm just planning my interrailing trip and wondering where would be the best place in croatia. I'd like to visit somewhere which would be central to all the best stuff? Anyone got any good experiences or recommend some good hostels and activities in the region.

I'd like to visit Lake bled and I'd also like to visit the islands by boat. Anybody ever hire their own boat for this before? what town suits the most for doing this? Should I plan in two cities/towns in Croatia. How many days?

Thanks for reading!
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

I was in Croatia two years ago. Flew into Dubrovnik in the south. Its a lovely city with amazing architecture. Not the livilist of cities but a cool place to look around. From there we went onto Split and Zadar. The island I went to was Havar which was cool. Can just get a boat over from Split. Also went to Zagreb which I didn't think too much of. Don't think there was much to do or see there and I'd be in no rush ever to go back there. There was a deadly national park on the way to Zagreb - had a georgous waterfall and could go swimming in it - can't think of the name of it now tho. Also went to Lake Bled. Its an amzing place just to stand and look at.

Accomdation was no hassle over there. I had booked a place in Dubrovnik but after that whenever you'd arrive in a town there would always be a good few looking to offer accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Plitvice Lakes?

I was there in 2007...amazing, you'd think the water is dyed with cyanide, it's so blue.

Also, Zagreb always seems to take a bashing...but I absolutely loved the city. There's the old town, with fabulous architecture, and the new part which really shows the history of the place. Anyway, I'd advise you not to just pass it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Was in Split myself, took a night train from Ljubljana after being in Lake Bled (also amazing) and really loved the place

Spent 3 nights on Hvar, wished I had more time to explore the islands and more money to rent a boat for a day or so (this isn't expensive, I was just broke)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mick_ser

was in croatia for 2 weeks last summer would recommend zadar and definitely the plitvice lakes. as said before the water is so clear and so full of fish never mind the seemingly endless number of waterfalls its beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 anrom162

Croatia is absolutely beautiful, definately go.

I got the ferry from Italy to Croatia (Split) last year. Split as a city is grand, but compared to the islands off it it's not all that great. I'd recommend getting the boat from Split to one of the islands near it. Hvar is quite expensive, apparently, but Brac isn't at all. I spent a week camping there in Bol. Camping was about €5/7 a night. Food and drink is quite cheap too, especially if you do the backpacking thing and cook your own.

Ah, its a great place! Hopefully I'll make it back myself this year. Actually, I was in Rijeka in northern Croatia a few yearsw ago, and wouldn't recommend it. If you're going go south (or at least more south). Have an amazing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Good plan.

I would recommend starting in Ljubljana (fly to Ryanair Venice, and it's not far to Ljubljana from them), then Bled, then down to Zagreb, over to the coast and fly back from Dubrovnik.

We got a tourist boat out to an island near Dubrovnik where we rented canoes and visited some of the smaller ones, it was nice. But Dubrovnik is also by far the most expensive costal down, so if you're on a budget, get stuff done before you go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Must Have Music

When I went interrailing, we did a circle that started and ended in krakow - went to czech republic, slovenia, then hit croatia. Dubrovnik's a great place to start, as it has the most to see and do (We stayed in this amazing house that's been converted to apartments, had kiwis growing in the garden!), then we went on to Split (not much to do but it's a nice place to spend a day or two) and from there did the islands! Wasn't a big fan of zagreb myself, but maybe we didn't give it enough of a chance! have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

I have, definitely go, its stunningly bea-u-tiii-ful.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What about places for diving? Any good?

Advertisement