Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lugnaquilla map

• 12-05-2009 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'm looking for a map that focuses on lugnaquilla and its surrounding areas.
    Most of the maps I can find seem to cut off somewhere on he south slope of lug, this is no good for me.

Can anyone suggest a map with alot of detail of lugnaquilla trails/hiking paths etc, and where I might find it??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

foolelle wrote: »
    I'm looking for a map that focuses on lugnaquilla and its surrounding areas.
    Most of the maps I can find seem to cut off somewhere on he south slope of lug, this is no good for me.

Can anyone suggest a map with alot of detail of lugnaquilla trails/hiking paths etc, and where I might find it??

Cheers
    You can get a special 1:50k OS map focussing on Lug from the Army Information Centre at Seskin, just down the road from Fenton's pub. They're free, and show the boundary of the artillery range and the two routes that go up to the summit from that area that go inside the artillery range limits.

I don't think you can get them anywhere else, so it's a journey over the Wicklow Gap I'm afraid.

Note that it's just an ordinary OSi 1:50k map in terms of detail, i.e. not very much, so don't expect any marked trails or anything like that.

There's a company called East West mapping that are working on a highly detailed set of maps covering the whole of the Wicklows. They have the northernmost map ready, which covers the Dublin Mountains, and there are another 3 in the pipeline, one of which will cover Lugnaquillia. These are due late 2009, early 2010 apparently, and if the other map is anything to go by, will be very detailed indeed.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Alun wrote: »
    You can get a special 1:50k OS map focussing on Lug from the Army Information Centre at Seskin, just down the road from Fenton's pub. They're free, and show the boundary of the artillery range and the two routes that go up to the summit from that area that go inside the artillery range limits.

I don't think you can get them anywhere else, so it's a journey over the Wicklow Gap I'm afraid.

Note that it's just an ordinary OSi 1:50k map in terms of detail, i.e. not very much, so don't expect any marked trails or anything like that.

There's a company called East West mapping that are working on a highly detailed set of maps covering the whole of the Wicklows. They have the northernmost map ready, which covers the Dublin Mountains, and there are another 3 in the pipeline, one of which will cover Lugnaquillia. These are due late 2009, early 2010 apparently, and if the other map is anything to go by, will be very detailed indeed.

Hope this helps.
    Alun,

Thankx a million. I didnt know anything about getting the map from the army dudes in Seskin I think that might be enough for us until east west mapping realise their map of lug. I have been in touch with Barry from east west asking the same and he says there well on target for late 09 early 10. Sooner the better there great maps. Listen thanks for your help will haul my ass up to seskin in the coming days for it.

Happy climbing
    Dom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

foolelle wrote: »
    Alun,

Thankx a million. I didnt know anything about getting the map from the army dudes in Seskin I think that might be enough for us until east west mapping realise their map of lug. I have been in touch with Barry from east west asking the same and he says there well on target for late 09 early 10. Sooner the better there great maps. Listen thanks for your help will haul my ass up to seskin in the coming days for it.

Happy climbing
    Dom

Looking at taking a hike up Lug early October. Would like to go via camara hill. Anyone know how well in advance the army guys know if they will be firing or not?

(edit) Found the number and no firing planned on October 4th (although he said to check the week before).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

paulocon wrote: »
    Looking at taking a hike up Lug early October. Would like to go via camara hill. Anyone know how well in advance the army guys know if they will be firing or not?

(edit) Found the number and no firing planned on October 4th (although he said to check the week before).

Who/what did you contact to find that out? Planning a hike up Lug in late October and would like to check too.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Call the Glen of Imaal Army Wardens Office on 045 404653.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Alun wrote: »
    Call the Glen of Imaal Army Wardens Office on 045 404653.

Psshhh, that'd take all the fun out of it. You should just go up wearing all green and hope for the best.

Better yet, dress like targets, I mean sheep.

Advertisement