Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H DIP Block Release NUIG

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Quick question! Has anyone who has been put on a waiting list for block release in galway for the H dip ever actually got a place on it eventually? :o

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

I got offered it at the end of the summer before the dip started, but turned it down as I had already found a sequential school. I know of a couple people who will turn down block release if they get it this year too! good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hey, can I ask what block release is? I feel a tad stupid, as I'm doing the dip this year and feel I should know what it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Block release is when the dip student completes his/her teaching practice in blocks of a few weeks rather than being in school every week, which is sequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Oh right, and why would some people be on a waiting list for that? They cant get a school or something?

There are only a certain amount of places (100 when I did it last year) and many people prefer to get a school closer to home in a different county, meaning that block release would suit them better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

I was going to go back to Galway for that very 'block release' reason, but I think it's probably better all round for your TP to go in for the whole year, more realistic, and you can maybe fool the kids that you're not a green horn.

Just my opinion and I'm not saying anyone who has done it this way is in any way making a mistake.

I agree. I initially thought that I should have applied for block release but as the year went on I realised that sequential was a much much better option for me. I think the block students spend much more time in school now than when I did it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Please don't be worried about getting sequential, you get far more subbing and yes you are busier but all that stands to you. I understand the merits of block too but most I know who did it did it in their own schools so if that is not possible you're as well going somewhere new. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19 emertheleemer

Thanks so much for replying! :)Feeling a little better about it now anyways was just worried that a school may be hard got at this stage and already thought I had everything sorted! Sequential definitely seems to have advantages and new experiences may be no harm! Anyways will see what happens! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 emertheleemer

Yay!:) got a school!! definitely wasn't expecting that so soon! Thanks for all your posts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

I agree with Janeybabe and freire, I did sequential and am very happy I did so. Block has its advantages too, but I am glad I didn't do it. Congrats on getting school btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beno-23

I did block this year for the pgde galway. didnt get it until like a week before the course started.already had a school got so kept ringing and mailing and they kept tellin me i was moving up the waiting list...long story short...i eventually got it.to be honest block was good for me because I had taught in the school for two years prior to doing the course so I already had the 'experience' of a full year in school!! everyone is different though and i dont think it really makes a difference because both sequential and block under pressure for different reasons throughout the year. although it was a tough year...i got through it and to be honest it went so fast I actually cant believe its finished:):):) just need to find a job for next year now!!! listen if anyone needs any advice on anything...please ask!!! when i was offered a place last year I had no clue about the course or what it entailed (hours/tp/timetable/subjects etc etc) and i would be glad to help anyone who could be in the same situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Hey Beno23 ... and fellow classmate! I posted this reply to someone a couple of weeks ago who was enquiring about the Hdip - You can let me know if you agree but I think it kinda covers basic info for anyone starting the PGDE. I'm glad it's over but I'm not gonna relax until the results come out - like in maybe 2011 if we're lucky lol.
    Rodar08 wrote: »
    Just to confirm - I've just finished the HDip and there are no Exams any more. This was the first year the exams were scrapped. The work load was piled on to compensate but honestly it isn't as hard as people make it out to be and the course co-ordinators have mentioned lessoning the work load for next years HDip students as they now realise the work load was too much at times. If I can do it anyone can! I thought on hearing reports that it is the 'hardest year of your life' and 'you can forget about a social life' that I'd never get through it - alas, these statements were NOT true so I wouldnt worry about that side of things. It's not going to be interesting to a lot of people as it is a generalised teaching qualification not focused on your area of expertise. It is interesting at times and there are times you'll be like - I'll never use this useless information.

Its irritating though - for example, get this ... over the course of the year we did 19 assignments this year (not unmanagable, maybe at times, but most are straight forward and shortish in length) to date we have recieved a grand total of 6 results out of the 19. Am I passing? Am I failing? I wondered this a lot throughout the year, and still am. To make matters worse still, the assignments we handed in were not given back to us. I expected them back with individual tips, advice, comments and feedback. Instead a document was posted on line with 'General Feedback' for all the classes assignments (approx 250 studnets on the course). This makes it almost impossible to track if you are meeting the required standards or have an idea if you are passing or failing the whole course all along.

Still no results out so I'm still at the 6 our of 19 results mark. Expecting results in 2 to 3 weeks.
    Definately do it first because of the masters and fees thing. I was unaware that I am still eligable to get my fees paid for a masters now having done the HDip first so that good news :). You'll always have the Hdip then so yeah - it makes total sense to so the HDip before your Masters. Best of Luck. ;) and oh yeah - I didn't get in until late on the summer (few complications) and got teaching hours np - I was doing block though. They say you could be in 9 to 9 but in fact mosttly its 4pm to 5pm mon to wed. Could be 9 to 5 on a Thur then off on a fri. For 3 weeks I had a module from 5 to 7:30 on a Thur. There's a lot to keep up with between lesson plans and assignments but like I said, it's managable and if I managed it you will. As long as you get everything handed in on time, each time, you'll be fine.

Advertisement