Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No placement yet: panic?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I havent hear back from any schools iv applied for yet. . .is it time for me to start worrying if im meant to be starting the PGDE in UCD in sept?

is there anyone else in the same boat as me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shadow Lady

Have you applied for many? Perhaps you could try applying for a few more (the ones you may not have applied to as they were further away or whatever?) Have you got any responses at all? I have my placement sorted thankfully, had two interviews, and got the school I preferred.

I imagine if you're worried, you could consider ringing the schools you have applied for to see if they received your application . . . and that way, they will probably tell you over the phone whether they are taking H.Dip students, and at least you'll know. I am still getting emails from the odd school just letting me know that they aren't taking placement students so there is hope for you yet. Perhaps some schools haven't started arranging their timetable yet and therefore don't yet know if they have places. I really wouldn't know for sure, but hopefully someone else here can give you more concrete guidance.

I do know that a friend of mine who is just finished the same course told me that if you don't manage to get a placement yourself, then U.C.D will place you. However, from reading the literature U.C.D sent out, it doesn't mention this as possible. In fact, it says they have the right to withdraw one's offer of the PGDE if one doesn't fulfill the requirements - pretty scary!

Wishing you the best of luck with finding a placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I do know that a friend of mine who is just finished the same course told me that if you don't manage to get a placement yourself, then U.C.D will place you. However, from reading the literature U.C.D sent out, it doesn't mention this as possible. In fact, it says they have the right to withdraw one's offer of the PGDE if one doesn't fulfill the requirements - pretty scary!

Yes, this placement by UCD practice apparently is the reality. I didn't get a school last summer as I applied to schools too late and accordingly I withdrew from the PGDE. However, after I had done so several people who had done the PGDE in UCD posted on this forum telling me that they or people on the UCD course had been given a school placement by UCD.

At any rate, I would physically call around to schools, even schools from which you have had no answer when you sent your CV. Meet and talk with the principals/deputy principals. Today.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Ring the schools you have applied to! I was in the same boat last year, panicking like a madwoman. Even though I wasn't keen on it I called a few schools just to remind them I had sent my CV and ask if there was any chance and I managed to get the school I had hoped for ... although I did end up getting calls from a few schools in August asking if I was still looking. You could try ringing UCD and asking them as a few schools do advertise for dips on the notice board. I know St. Paul's in Greenhills take a fair few dips - think they took about 10 this year! And I think UCD did help out a few people who had nothing when we started!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

Elle,

Can you tell me where the lectures/classes for the PGDE take place in UCD?

I know the Education Department is based up at Roebuck Castle but when I was an under-graduate I remember seeing an Education Department in the Arts Block. I'm just wondering if that's still there and maybe the Roebuck place is purely administration or what's the arrangement? Thanks.

Advertisement