Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vegas cookie jar

Options
  • 11-05-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch the small little piece RTE ran on this tonight?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/florida-priests-embezzled-86m-from-parishioners-418157.html

Two Catholic priests in a Palm beach community in Florida managed to steal millions (est. 8.7m) of dollars over a number of years from their parish!:eek:
    Where did the money go?

Las Vegas trips
    Secret girlfriends
    Large scale home renovations with flat screen TV's, Jacuzzis and water chandeliers (ref: booker keeper during trial!!)

One priest pleaded guilty and got 14 months the other pleaded not guilty claiming that he was ahem 'entitled to it' and subsequently was sentenced to 4 years in prison.

Quite a tragic story as the 2 lads are quite old now but come on 8 million! In the words of Fr. Guigan himself
    'we probably focused a bit too much on the celebration aspect of things'. I kid you not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Quite a tragic story as the 2 lads are quite old now but come on 8 million! In the words of Fr. Guigan himself
    'we probably focused a bit too much on the celebration aspect of things'. I kid you not.
    You mean Father Buzz Cagney right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Er..the money was only resting in his account ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

the church in question have recieved a large insurance settlement on the back of these crimes - undiclosed amount of course - i wonder whose account that money get's to rest in. Should be given back to the parish tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

Nothing tragic about the two lads being too old.Did they think they would live forever?They must have twigged pretty quickly the utter stupidity and resources amongst their fawning flock.Add in a beautiful climate and you are in paradise.

Hope the padres dont find jail life too hard,though no alcohol is a real downer.Not to mention women.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well celibacy might still be a problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

humanji wrote: »
    Well celibacy might still be a problem...

:eek:

yowser!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I'd do the exact same thing if I had a midlife crisis and said to myself "Why the **** did I become a priest?"

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You know, I should be appauled, but hey I gotta respect those guys.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Cmon now lads -you wouldnt be supporting crime now would ya????

Dont you just love the guy who wont fess up "It was sooo goood -it cant be sinful":D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

This money was given by rich parishioners right?
    And so they assumed the money was going to the church - correct?
    Therefore the money was stolen from the church.
    So who cares? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

refer to sig :D

Advertisement