Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod touch GPS question.

Options
  • 11-05-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on getting my girlfriend an ipod Touch as a gift before she goes around Europe working for a few months this Summer.

I want to give it to her, so she has something to do (watch movies), while I can install a GPS app on it so she doesn't get lost and always knows where she is going.

Is this possible ?

I found this :
    Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced major software updates for its iPhone and iPod Touch devices. iPhone users now can send SMS messages to multiple people and iPod Touch users get access to several applications that have been available on the iPhone: Mail, maps, stock quotes, notes and weather reports.

Most significantly, however, is the addition of a GPS-like positioning feature: Rather than using a GPS receiver, Apple consulted with Google and Skyhook Wireless to come up with a technology that uses triangular Wi-Fi and cellular beacon layouts to determine the location of a device. iPhone users will be able to take advantage of the new feature through the free iPhone software upgrade 1.1.3, while people who already have purchased an iPod Touch will have to shell out an extra $20 for the upgrade.

All new iPod Touch devices will come with the positioning feature without extra cost.

But is this proper GPS system out yet ? All reports I've read on other sites say its not so great, so I'm apprehensive and looking for ideas. Was hoping someone here could help me out as I'd feel a bit stupid spending 300 quid on a pointless enough gift.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Also, is it possible to put full books on the touch ?

Would be a nice, er, touch, if I could :)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

iPod Touch Location Services require a Wifi network registered with Skyhook, it doesn't have an inbuilt GPS chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

The way that Apple have designed the Maps function requires an active Internet connection to download the maps from google as you move around. The maps are not stored on the device so data downloads while roaming = big charges ( on iPhone ).

If you are going abroad and want GPS, a satnav is a better investment (personally I prefer TomTom)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jeebus wrote: »
    I found this :

That appears to be a very old quote, judging by the reference to 1.1.3.
    Jeebus wrote: »
    But is this proper GPS system out yet ? All reports I've read on other sites say its not so great, so I'm apprehensive and looking for ideas. Was hoping someone here could help me out as I'd feel a bit stupid spending 300 quid on a pointless enough gift.

It's not really a GPS system at all, it's more of a "general location finger" type thing.

The key to it is that you will need an active network connection to find the general area where you are. And as the iPod Touch only has WiFi, you will have to be near a WiFi hotspot.

To be blunt, it's really only a gimmick. It is not at all usable as a substitute for a real GPS unit.

Advertisement