Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level out or shoot back up??...

Options
  • 11-05-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

What do people think - do ye reckon hourse prices will
    a) bottom out (whenever) and stay low for a while or will they
    b) shoot back up in a buying frenzy.

Just curious myself, cos I'm one of those people biding my time wondering when the right time to buy is. Half afraid just as things seem to have bottomed out they might just soar back up again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

your in a dream world if you think prices will shoot back up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Im no expert but I don't think them shooting back up is likely over the next few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

If house prices "shoot" back up within the next 2 years, I hereby promise to pay for your house.

The only frenzy will be the fire sales and bankruptcies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ha, ok, fair enough - I clearly don't have a clue! :)

I just kinda thought there might be a sudden rush of all the people that have been hanging tough waiting for a good time to buy. Thought that might push things back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ha, ok, fair enough - I clearly don't have a clue! :)

I just kinda thought there might be a sudden rush of all the people that have been hanging tough waiting for a good time to buy. Thought that might push things back up again.

There is an estimated 250,000 empty houses around the country at the moment. Combine that with mass unemployment, huge personal debt, lack of finance and lack of confidence in the economy, it would take a rush of biblical proportions to drive prices back up to the unsustainable level they were at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But there are also large numbers of people who are well paid and yet couldn't afford the over pricing but are waiting for the stable pricing to happen so that they can jump in. I work with a lot of IT people largely unaffected by the recession in this position.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

But there are also large numbers of people who are well paid and yet couldn't afford the over pricing but are waiting for the stable pricing to happen so that they can jump in. I work with a lot of IT people largely unaffected by the recession in this position.

There's plenty of food at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

Right those IT people may not be affected but banks ARE affected. No more easy mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'd give it another 5-10 years... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I can't see them shoot back up. The conditions which led to the bubble don't exist any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What do people think - do ye reckon hourse prices will
    a) bottom out (whenever) and stay low for a while or will they
    b) shoot back up in a buying frenzy.

c) Continue to fall until they reach sustainable levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

iguana wrote: »
    c) Continue to fall until they reach sustainable levels.
    Strange that this option didn't appear in the original post. An advertising campaign for a well-known brand of lager comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

In real terms i cant see house prices getting to peak 2006 levels in next 25 years. In money terms probably but in real inflation adjusted terms,no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

no no they are going to shoot back up - likely to shoot back up real fast too i heard. you better get your skates on and buy now, be prepared to outbid or out shoot other bidders/shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

who_ru wrote: »
    no no they are going to shoot back up - likely to shoot back up real fast too i heard. you better get your skates on and buy now, be prepared to outbid or out shoot other bidders/shooters.

Stop listening to Tom parlon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

Rising unemployment, rising taxes, NAMA, property tax in December, huge stock of unsold houses.
    Take your pick - we are going back to 1996 prices (a further 50% drop is required)
    Nothing strange or startling - we are simply returning to European norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

viva la firesale...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I reckon prices will increase again- but in an eventual 30-40 year window- no sooner. In the short to medium term I reckon prices will continue to fall, before levelling out at roughly 1994-1995 prices. I further think the average industrial wage (or at least take home pay) will be 60% of its 2006 level within the next 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

In real terms i cant see house prices getting to peak 2006 levels in next 25 years. In money terms probably but in real inflation adjusted terms,no.
    I think is more than likely that prices NEVER return to 2006 / 2007 levels in real terms. A return in real terms means we've gone into another obscene bubble, the biggest asset price bubble of all time, dwarfing the minor dot-com affair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Strange that this option didn't appear in the original post. An advertising campaign for a well-known brand of lager comes to mind.

I think the OP had it covered with "whenever", in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement