Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vomiting cat

Options
  • 11-05-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi

I have a 4 year old male cat with FIV - he lives indoors 100% of the time in my apartment and is a happy kitty. But he has started vomiting - the first time was about 2 weeks ago and was not too bad, but I came home on Saturday night to find he had vomited all over my living room - it was not nice. I had thought it was the usual furballs but twice in 2 weeks is a lot I think, he has never vomited before. He seems fine, he is due a trip to the vet later in the week to get his jabs anyway and I will mention it then, but I was wondering had anyone any ideas what could be wrong with him ?

Thanks for any replies

qwert99

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Hiya,
    the poor fella, not all nice for either of you. Have you changed his food recently or added anything to the diet? I know when I had my own cat he wasn't too gone on mackerel and that made him sick, other than that not too sure, but at least his temperament is ok the vet will give him a thorough checkover too, hope he feels better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 qwert99

Thanks for that, no he's had no big change in diet...we'll see what happens. He'll be at the vet later in the week anyway. I'm almost afraid to go home in case he has been sick again...eeeeek !

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

With having fiv his immune system is prob a bit low. If he continues vomiting dont wait til later in the week to get him looked at, try and get him to the vet sooner. It's prob just a bit of a bug but you dont want him getting too dehydrated or sicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Would it be that the summer time is kicking in and cats fur is molting more than usual... I find our kitty vomits up hairballs etc more often during the beginning of summer as her hair is thinning for the roaring hot summers we have here. Obviously, I'm kidding on the last bit but you get my point.

Cats lose their winter coats around now and it means as they wash, they are taking in more fur than usual and thus producing more hairballs. Try combing your cat and see is much hair coming off? Not nice for poor cat either...

Hopefully, it's something simple like that. :)

Yes it is the time of year for moulting isn't it - I had forgotten about that. I do brush/comb him and a lot of hair comes off. He hasn't been sick since the Saturday night and is perfectly fine otherwise. I am bringing him to the vet on Friday anyway for his jabs so I'll mention it then, thanks for all the feedback...and Casper says "Thanks and purrrr"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

My little man, Sully, has FIV too and he occasionally goes through vomiting phases. When it started at first, I was terrified something was wrong but the vet confirmed that he was as fit as a fiddle.
    The problem seems to be his eating habits. He was semi-feral when we got him as a rescue and even though we left a constant supply of food down, he'd wolf as much as he could in case he had to go without for any length of time. He would then vomit huge piles of semi-digested dry food anywhere he happened to be, including on one occasion, all over my pillow.

So now I have both my cats on Orijen dry food which they love but they don't seem to eat or gorge as much as I guess they're getting the nutrition they need in a smaller amount.

I've also invested in one of the raised food bowls. I got it in Argos where it was listed as a dog food bowl but you can adjust the height. This means that he can eat at head height so all the food goes down easier.

I also invested in a drinking fountain which has encouraged him to drink a lot more water as he's mesmerised by the flow and a combination of all these things means that he only spews about once a month and that's probably hair balls as there's nothing else wrong with him.

I brush him regularly which he enjoys when he's not trying to chew the brush :o) and I keep treats like fresh fish and chicken to very small portions and - touch wood - he's a happy healthy little man.

Fingers crossed that your little boy is ok but keep us updated.

Hello all

Well after 2 trips to the vet (a week apart) he is on antibiotics for a couple of days, there's been only one vomiting incident in 2 weeks and it was just fur this time so he is on the mend. He is also taking de-furrum (I think that is how it is spelt) also and is back at the vet next week for a final check up.

Thanks for the advice, and purrs from kitty too...I was off work sick myself too this week and he loved having me at home all day at his beck and call....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Hi Quert,

It's great to see that your lettle furball is on the mend. They're such a worry sometimes but we wouldn't be without them :rolleyes:
    He'd have been delighted to have you around all day too as mine do. It's always time for cuddles then. And don't they really take advantage...
    Hopefully this will sort out all his problems though and he'll be fit as a fiddle in no time.
    xox

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Oh that is good news ;) Glad to hear it and thanks for the update.

I know how cats get used to having you around...I'm just finishing a four year degree and I don't know how I or the cat are going to get used to my having a full-time job again. Have loved spending extra time at home with my hairball.

Gonna be difficult ;) Will have to take up further study instead!

Best of luck and good health to both of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

Glad he's getting better

• Advertisement

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies - kitty is fine, no vomiting since and there is not a bother on him, other than deciding which sunny part of the carpet to sleep on :-)

Advertisement