Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish problem

Options
  • 11-05-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I bought 6 goldfish a week ago (my first time having goldfish) and put them in a small bowl. The pet shop gave me something to treat the water and I also put some gravel in.
    I've been feeding them once a day, 3 small flakes per goldfish and changed 20% of the water every 3 days (as it got very cloudy).
    We lost 2 goldfish after 3 days, 1 more after 4 days and 1 more after 5 days.

I'm trying to figure out why they're dying? The water has been treated and I feed them every day. Anyone got any ideas to try and save our 2 remaining fish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

6 goldfish in one bowl?

What's the capacity of the bowl? Have you got a filter and aerator in place?
    If not, it's no surprise that they are dying. Bowls are terrible for just one fish, let alone 6. They don't let enough oxygen into the water.

It sounds like you put in way more fish than the container could accomodate in the first place, and since the fish were put in all in one go, the water and bowl are not cycled and the fish are essentially being poisoned from their own ammonia (from their urine).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Your first problem is the goldfish bowl. Your second problem is 6 goldfish in a goldfish bowl.

For 6 goldfish you need to get yourself a nice rectangular 50-70L aquarium with a filter.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Can I ask why you started with 6? was there a special offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

6 goldfish in a bowl and you are asking why they are dying!!??

They are being poisoned by Ammonia, swimming in their own waste!!

Read about the nitrogen cycle, buy a tank, buy a filter and buy a book.

Advertisement