Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download private messages - get another member's PM's

Options
  • 11-05-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Just to put things in perspective. Not on a network, no other user of the PC, no alter-ego's. 3 Network. USB 'Midband' dongle.

I selected several PM's to download as a text file. I then deleted my PM's.

Just clicked the text file before filing it offline and they are the PM's of another member.

Is this common?

Known bug?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We're looking into it here in the office, but it doesn't strike me as a boards problem rather a 3 one. When you were browsing the site, was it definitely under your own account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Can you PM me the userid/name of the person whose PMs you received?

Hasn't cropped up before to the best of my knowledge, but it may be something to do with how Three manages it's users connections (ie, caching).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Dav: Yes, my own account. I have no others. Non network environment, basically an Asus Eee accessing the internet through a 'Midband' dongle.

Ross: PM on the way.

This certainly looks like a Three problem, probably a rare enough situation to do with the plaintext format and generic URL used to retrieve the data.

Will probably need to stick in some extra secure identifier to the PM download URL.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, most appreciated :)

I have put in a patch for this problem that should prevent it from occurring again, and I've submitted the patch to vBulletin, so if any other vBulletin forum owners are concerned about the same thing happening they can apply it themselves.

If this problem occurs again, please drop me a PM. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ross wrote: »
    I've submitted the patch to vBulletin, so if any other vBulletin forum owners are concerned about the same thing happening they can apply it themselves.

Nice one Ross.

Advertisement