Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ask for a rent reduction?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

myself and my 2 housemates are postgrad students living in blackrock. a few of our colleagues have mentioned that they managed to get a rent reduction, and I've been poking around on daft etc, and noticed that we are paying a fair bit over the odds for what we're renting. Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how we might approach our agency about getting our rent cut in line with the other houses in the area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ring them, tell them your findings and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

ntlbell wrote: »
    ring them, tell them your findings and ask?

If they refuse, make it clear you are going to move (even if you're not, although I would: if they are that unreasonable what will they be like at deposit time .... ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

My landlord is unbelievably sound so we just asked him directly (we don't go through an agent). I just said how must of our friends received one and that with pay freezes, levies, interest rate cuts and everything else would he consider it. He knocked just over 10% off for us.

Just ask. They know it's a renters market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

if you have a lease you are bound by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

bobbiw wrote: »
    if you have a lease you are bound by it.

True but indicate to them you are not willing to renew it once it expires and see what the landlord says.

Mine offered me 10% off immediatly but i found another place in the same town which takes it down over 25%....

• Advertisement
Advertisement