Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get my puppy to pee out side?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 14 week old female schnauzer puppy, I only got her last week, so am currently toilet training her.

She can hold her pee for ages, so its quite hard to catch her in the act and bring her out. But my problem is, when I do manage to catch her pee'ing, I shout no, and bring her out...but then she wont pee.

I spend 10 to 15 mins outside with her, but she will not pee. I dont play with her out there, and there are no toys outside. She usually sniffs around a bit, tries to play with me, then will just sit down looking up at me. I eventually move to a different bit of the garden to see if she will pee there, but she doesnt. And I am sure she must have pee left to do!

When we eventually come back in, she doesnt pee again for ages. I'm wondering if she gets a bit freaked out when I shout "no" at her or something? She doesnt seem frightened by it, she just stops, and we go out, but then nothing.

Anyone got any tips on getting her to actually pee once we are outside? Should I just simply spend longer outside with her? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Is she peeing in the kitchen at the moment and is that in one spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I think the best way to train a pup is to put down newspaper where she pees. When she pees there, praise her! Then slowly but surely move the paper towards your backdoor. Then move it just out the door and see if she will let you know when she wants to go out to it. Thats how I trained the foster I have at the moment. She's 3 and it worked wonders with her.
    Can you put up a picture of your puppy?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

We had a few dogs over the years and the mother used to dip there nose in the pee and let them know it wasn't on and this worked a charm. :)

I agree with the newspaper trick but most likely it will piss on your door mat. Also give you dog a treat when it pisses on the news paper . Just remember it will take time .
    Another thing i suggest is that when its a bit warmer leave the back door open so the dog can walk in and out which increases the chance of pissing outside . I dont not recommend that you stick your dogs nose in the piss . I will send a Pic of my dog when it was a Pup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Fredrick wrote: »
    We had a few dogs over the years and the mother used to dip there nose in the pee and let them know it wasn't on and this worked a charm. :)

Please dont do this, its cruel.

• Advertisement

She was 10 weeks in this photo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Fredrick wrote: »

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hopefully this outdated and cruel punishment is slowly on the way out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I wouldn't bother with the newspaper, start as you mean to go on and have her pee outside from the get go. Don't rub her nose in it.

First thing in the morning go outside with her, she should pee when she wakes. Praise praise and more praise. If she goes inside don't shout, you'll make her afraid and she'll find somewhere where you can't see her to pee. You should bring her out after food, after playing, after sleeping, etc. Look for her tells, does she circle, sniff, etc? Watch her like a hawk and if she goes inside you weren't watching closely enough. Everytime she goes outside give her lots of love and praise and even a little treat if you like just to reinforce that this is the behaviour you want from her.

Toilet training isn't easy, it does take alot of time but the main thing is to be very consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

thanks for the replies.

No, she doesnt pee in the same spot, she will pee pretty much anywhere in the kitchen, or in the hall, living room, whereever she is let go! I keep the back door open for them, so they can go in and out when they like from the utility. I have two dogs btw, the other dog is a male schnoodle (a cross between a poodle and schnauzer, he is very cute). I will post pics later this evening.

I have been keeping them outside for the past few days, along with myself as the weather has been so good. I dont let her roam the house, I try to keep a close eye on her cause i never know when she needs to go. She doesnt sniff around, or look likes shes going to do it, thats whats making it hard. With the schnoodle, it was so much easier, as he would sniff about and circle around, so you knew when it was going to happen.

Is there any possiblilty that will she learn from my schnoodle dog? is it possible? I have noticed the last few times that when I bring them out, and he pees (he is fully trained and goes on command), I praise him and pet him, then shortly after she will go, and then i praise her big time to. Im wondering if it is possible that she sees him getting praise for pee'ing and then she pees then to?

I will not be sticking their noses in their business, either no 1's or 2's, thats just not good practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

If you shout at her while she's peeing indoors, she doesn't know that you're shouting for the indoors but and thinks that peeing in front of you is bad. Apart from confusing her now, this can lead to problems later on if you ever need her to pee while on lead etc.

The best way to toilet train her is to take her out every hour on the hour (in the daytime!) and if she pees, praise her extravagantly (or you can give her a treat). Taking her out after the fact is pointless!

At that age, she needs to go out once halfway through the night too, as she can't hold it in for 8 hours.

I got my guy at six months and he was clean in a week this way, he only had about 3 accidents indoors in total.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/458

• Advertisement
Advertisement