Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some advice on technique...?

Options
  • 10-05-2009 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

howdee,

I made the transition recently from a 10ft longboard to a 7ft 2 board.

I've taken it out a few times, and it's great to log the water time. I've not managed to get a clear cut stand up as of yet, but I reckon it will take some time anyways. It nearly feels like learning again!

Initially I thought that maybe the board was going to be too small or light for me, but it's not too bad...

One thing I noticed is that the longboard was fairly heavy, so it feels a bit weird with a lighter board under you. I also am in the habit of having the feel for a longboard, so I noticed today I was at times trying to pop up thinking I had more board behind me when I had only fresh air!
    I managed to get up on my feet a few times, but my hands were still kind of on the rails, so I was crouching on the board rather than getting a clear stand up. Again, I hope time in the water cure this.
    Another thing I noticed is how responsive a smaller board is. A touch to the left or right is less forgiving than the 10ft board!

A few times when I caught a wave, I reckon it was maybe too late when I caught it, it had almost gone past me, so when I did stand up, I kind of sank straight off. I hadn't built up enough speed. I suppose it's getting a feel for the board. Sometimes it zips in, but I'm not quick enough up to take full advantage. Again, I hope water time cures this for me...

Any advice for me, or tips. Or is it just a case of getting as much water time as possible. Some of the waves in Spanish point would have been ideal for a longboard today...I guess I'll have to have one on standby!:(:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭smythire

its going to be a case on getting out there an learning where the new sweet point for your new board..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, you're right lol..think I'll get my hands on a longer board, and maybe use them every second session, alternate them. at least I'll be standing up every second session lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

practise is the only way to get the sweetspot and the feel for your new board !!! best of luck with it !

I suppose the learning curve is different for everyone as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

seachto7 wrote: »
    howdee,

I made the transition recently from a 10ft longboard to a 7ft 2 board.

I've taken it out a few times, and it's great to log the water time. I've not managed to get a clear cut stand up as of yet, but I reckon it will take some time anyways. It nearly feels like learning again!

Initially I thought that maybe the board was going to be too small or light for me, but it's not too bad...

One thing I noticed is that the longboard was fairly heavy, so it feels a bit weird with a lighter board under you. I also am in the habit of having the feel for a longboard, so I noticed today I was at times trying to pop up thinking I had more board behind me when I had only fresh air!
    I managed to get up on my feet a few times, but my hands were still kind of on the rails, so I was crouching on the board rather than getting a clear stand up. Again, I hope time in the water cure this.
    Another thing I noticed is how responsive a smaller board is. A touch to the left or right is less forgiving than the 10ft board!

A few times when I caught a wave, I reckon it was maybe too late when I caught it, it had almost gone past me, so when I did stand up, I kind of sank straight off. I hadn't built up enough speed. I suppose it's getting a feel for the board. Sometimes it zips in, but I'm not quick enough up to take full advantage. Again, I hope water time cures this for me...

Any advice for me, or tips. Or is it just a case of getting as much water time as possible. Some of the waves in Spanish point would have been ideal for a longboard today...I guess I'll have to have one on standby!:(:)

If you were getting clean popups on the 10ft they'll come again on the 7'2". But give yourself a chance. 10ft to 7 is a pretty big jump!!!

I've been surfing for about 4-5 years and it is only in the last year that I've really seen my surfing imporve.

I had the same problem with the holding the rail (and dragging my foot) and you'd end up in the arse up head down position. How I got over it (or at least I think I got over it!!) is when you are paddling for the wave focus on looking down the line and not looking at your board or directly infront of you.

As you pop just forget about falling off and go for it. Keep low and put your trailing hand into the water.... I don't know how it has worked but it has.

The more you look directly infront of you or look at the board the more likely you are to hold onto it on popup....

As for paddling ... agree with above will take time to find the sweet spot...

• Advertisement

yeah, Ive taken to watching how the wave is breaking as well rather than just concentrating on getting up on the board. I feel like I was when I started on a mal before, falling off all the time!! Still if I spend 3 hours in the water this weekend and stand up once, then that will be progress...

Advertisement