Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

correct/best oil for a ford focus

Options
  • 10-05-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

2002. was coming round a roundabout earlier and the wee red oil light came on. i checked it when i got home and there's hardly any oil left. what is the best oil for a ford focus 2002, can i get it in any petrol station/garage, how much do i actually put in, and just to top of my daftness, does it goin in here

o6jt3d.jpg

thank in advance :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

5w30 Formula E synthetic from Shell is the stuff you want. The Zetec engine capacity is 4.25l.

You fill up from the circled inlet. Put car on level surface, leave to cool down, and don't heave it all in at once, put about 2l in, stop, check oil level from dipstick, and continue. Now do it bit by bit until you get the correct level on the dipstick.

Just remember that having too much oil can be as bad as having too little!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

macroman wrote: »
    5w30 Formula E synthetic from Shell is the stuff you want. The Zetec engine capacity is 4.25l.

You fill up from the circled inlet. Put car on level surface, leave to cool down, and don't heave it all in at once, put about 2l in, stop, check oil level from dipstick, and continue. Now do it bit by bit until you get the correct level on the dipstick.

Just remember that having too much oil can be as bad as having too little!

+1, great advice, had a friend destroy a Diesel engine by putting too much oil in. So as said above, don't over do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and then there would be t'other question ....

Where did it all go? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The recommended oil for a mk1 focus is 5w30 semi syntethic oil. How low is the oil? check with the dipstick. The oil goes where you circled in on your pic. Check for oil spots where you park the car to rule out leaks. Any garage sells 1lt bottles of oil. If you decide to do a complete oil change the capacity is 3.5ltr's according to my haynes manual but she took 4 ltr's when I changed my oil (on an LX model not sure about Zetecs!). You will need an oil filter too and sump bung. €40 - 50 for 4 litres of oil and €10 for filter, €5 for sump bung thingy ( the bolt where you drain the oil).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

peasant wrote: »

It's a Ford :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If your car seems like it is going through too much oil then change the oil fully to 5/30 Fully synthetic for a few services (2/3 should do) and go back to semi-synth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

peasant wrote: »

zetec/vvti engines eat oil at times but only on long journies. To resolve that you put fully synth in for a few services and it goes back to normal for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

You should really check your oil once a week at least :rolleyes:

Amazing the amount of people think they never have to open the bonnet of a car between servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Neilw wrote: »
    You should really check your oil once a week at least :rolleyes:

Amazing the amount of people think they never have to open the bonnet of a car between servicing.

If your car tells you when the oil is low (at the bottom mark on the dipstick) then you dont have to. By that I mean there is a low oil warning. Otherwise it is good advice as you say to check the oil at regular intervals (maybe not once a week).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

*Kol* wrote: »
    If your car tells you when the oil is low (at the bottom mark on the dipstick) then you dont have to. By that I mean there is a low oil warning. Otherwise it is good advice as you say to check the oil at regular intervals (maybe not once a week).

I can be too late if your relying on a warning light, it's not to difficult or time consuming to check the oil level once a week or before and after any long journeys. It's a good habit to get in to ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

*Kol* wrote: »

Yes but the red oil light (what turned on in the OP's case) means the oil pressure is low, which is a lot more serious than just low oil (it'll have to be very low, or there's something else causing a loss of pressure). AFAIK low oil warning lights are usually amber or some other form of indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,150 ✭✭✭✭Esel

macroman wrote: »
    FFS! :( Do not put 2 litres in blind! The difference between min and max is often about 1 litre, so don't put more than that amount in before waiting for it too reach the sump and then checking the new level. Proceed in smaller amounts from there.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

whats the difference between full and semi synthetic oil? would it have an impact on fuel consumption?

Advertisement