Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotted in Tesco, Merrion

Options
  • 10-05-2009 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

05052009559.th.jpg

Think this is a great example of a rip off. Asked a staff member and they just grunted at me.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's not really.

Bolands marked that price stupidly on their product as that's what they want it to retail at.

Tesco have to ad a certain amount of mark up to make profits.

So, Tesco will sell less now thanks to Bolands which will is not good for both Bolands and Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

jaffa20 wrote: »
    It's not really.

Bolands marked that price stupidly on their product as that's what they want it to retail at.

Tesco have to ad a certain amount of mark up to make profits.

So, Tesco will sell less now thanks to Bolands which will is not good for both Bolands and Tesco.
    :confused:

No, I'd say Tesco got their own labeling arse-ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

99c is the recommended retail price, Tesco can choose their own price and they've reduced it.

It does look bad though and any decent manager should have spotted it.
    But it's Tesco HQ who set the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

Tesco would have gotten a trade discount for this product from Bolands.

Well spotted OP - it's a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mikemac wrote: »
    99c is the recommended retail price, Tesco can choose their own price and they've reduced it.
    Is it just RRP though, I though "flashed prices" like that were legally obliged to be at that price, or lower.

I know a guy who worked in a centra and a dunnes and he told me you were obliged to charge it, and that the owner of the centra went mental once since a guy went to the cash & carry and got flashed items when there are often unflashed prices beside the same item.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You are not obliged to charge a RRP on any product. You are completely free to charge more (or less)

Any attempt at setting a retail price is illegal under irish price fixing legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hmm, no, they increased it...
    It does look bad though and any decent manager should have spotted it. But it's Tesco HQ who set the prices

Do they, i have seen prices vary by store before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

lmao think thats bad ?????

spotted today in drogheda

15 x 440ml bottles, this is how they managed all those price cuts hehehehe :D

14E1C9330EF344DEAFBD0716E7EDA678-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

calex71 wrote: »
    lmao think thats bad ?????

spotted today in drogheda

15 x 440ml bottles, this is how they managed all those price cuts hehehehe :D

14E1C9330EF344DEAFBD0716E7EDA678-800.jpg
    That's... wow.

You are not obliged to charge a RRP on any product. You are completely free to charge more (or less)
    Right, I just thought this was different from RRP. I thought knowingly having 2 prices on display for a product would not be allowed. I know the law allows for mistakes and a displayed price is only an "invitation", but this is no mistake, there are 2 prices.

Now I know you would presume the tesco listed price is right, but I wonder if the law can cover a situation like this, since laws cannot really allow for "cop on".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

rubadub wrote: »
    Right, I just thought this was different from RRP. I thought knowingly having 2 prices on display for a product would not be allowed. I know the law allows for mistakes and a displayed price is only an "invitation", but this is no mistake, there are 2 prices.

Now I know you would presume the tesco listed price is right, but I wonder if the law can cover a situation like this, since laws cannot really allow for "cop on".
    That's nicely complicated:) There's an element of truth in the case you're pushing.

I suspect that in tiny writing on those biscuit packets under the 99c (I can see something on top of the pack but resolution isn't good enough to make it out) it says "recommended retail price" or "suggested retail price", which covers the dichotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

its just a f**k up by Tesco on their price file that has not been noticed by staff yet. Email their HO and it will be change within the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The OP brought it to the attention of staff, why should it be necessary to launch an email campaign to get it changed. It should have been changed before he left the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Why are people debating whether this is legal or not? Even if it is is very poor from by the company. Just because something is legal does not mean you cannot complain about it and bring it to the attention of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I was charged 50euro for a packet of rashers once,some mark up there hey!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

holly1 wrote: »
    I was charged 50euro for a packet of rashers once,some mark up there hey!!!

Depends. If they were rashers of, say near extinct White Siberian Leopards; it might have been quite a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

:D:D

ardmacha wrote: »
    The OP brought it to the attention of staff, why should it be necessary to launch an email campaign to get it changed. It should have been changed before he left the shop.

because you cannot account for common sense. The staff that the OP spoke to probably cannot change the price because it has to be done centrally. Also whats to say that person has some cop on to ring it into his manager or HO?probably none.

Also the more HO is contacted on matters the more they might watch what the do as they have the public ready to pounce on them. Its all good and well shouting about it here and there but unless someone tells them how are they going to know they messed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

if there are 2 prices on an item the seller has to by law sell it at the lower price...as in the seller would check the shelf where the items are displayed and if they all have the 2 prices then the lower one stands... if they want to sell item at the higher price then they should have removed lower price...

another example i came across was an item marked at the shelf at say 17 euro.. went to the checkout price was 18 euro on till... i copped this and said to the woman that the price is wrong and she got someone to check the shelf.. so in the end i paid 17 euro..

shops get fined if they are inspected and found to be a) not displaying the correct price on the shelf and b) not displaying a price at all on the shelf..

stag39 wrote: »
    if there are 2 prices on an item the seller has to by law sell it at the lower price...as in the seller would check the shelf where the items are displayed and if they all have the 2 prices then the lower one stands... if they want to sell item at the higher price then they should have removed lower price...

another example i came across was an item marked at the shelf at say 17 euro.. went to the checkout price was 18 euro on till... i copped this and said to the woman that the price is wrong and she got someone to check the shelf.. so in the end i paid 17 euro..

shops get fined if they are inspected and found to be a) not displaying the correct price on the shelf and b) not displaying a price at all on the shelf..

Actually the funny thing is that in this instance Tesco actually fully complies with the law. The on pack price is an invitation to threat and they have advised you of the correct price of the purchase now its up to you and others if you want to buy it at that price.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Price-display/

look at question 2

If you or anybody else sees a price and are charged more and the shop decided to sell it to you at the lower price that is purley customer service/peace meal.

Shop can be fined for misleading advertisment including price differences but nobody has been done for it yet because there is so much of a human element involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Do tesco still do the "if marked differently then what you pay for at the till, you get it free" ?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Why are people debating whether this is legal or not? Even if it is is very poor from by the company. Just because something is legal does not mean you cannot complain about it and bring it to the attention of others.
    Yes you can complain if it is legal. But if their pricing practise is illegal then they really have to do something about it, rather than just shrug their shoulders.
    Actually the funny thing is that in this instance Tesco actually fully complies with the law. The on pack price is an invitation to threat and they have advised you of the correct price of the purchase now its up to you and others if you want to buy it at that price.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Price-display/

look at question 2
    I saw that page trying to search for the legality. It did not answer my question though. All it is saying is if when you get to the till and they tell you the price and it is different then they do not have to sell it to you. My question is about KNOWINGLY having 2 different prices listed, no mistake here. I am not even talking about having "the right" to buy at a lower price, I am wondering if they can legally have 2 different prices listed, esp. the "non-flashed" one being higher. But maybe they can have a 100 labels all over the shop and leave it up to you to decide at the till.
    Shop can be fined for misleading advertisment including price differences but nobody has been done for it yet
    I think some supermarkets here have been fined for this.
    hussey wrote: »
    Do tesco still do the "if marked differently then what you pay for at the till, you get it free" ?
    No, never did either, it is only if the price on the shelf is lower than what you were charged. You can check on the instore scanner, if you find a mistake then fill your trolley and checkout quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I seen in tescos drogheda the other day , 2 packs of ham for 4.50 euros but the ham had on the wrapper 2 packs for £3.50.
    They are just advertising the fact that an identical item sold in sterling (ie in the north)is still cheaper than in euros.

Advertisement