Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting kitten to use cat flap?

Options
  • 10-05-2009 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

We have a 4 month old kitten and let him out for the first time today. He loved it. He's very energetic and I know he's been dying to go out. We have a large garden and live next to the town belt which is described as "bush" so it's a great place for a cat.

Even though he got stung by a bee 10 minutes after first going outside (he pounced on it and has pounced on more since!) he loves it. The only problem is he won't use the cat flap. We tried putting him in and out it a few times and he struggles, putting his paws out so we can't put him through it. We've also tried holding food out on one side and trying to get him to jump through. He's being very stubborn. If we open the door to put washing out he's out like a shot but doesn't want to use the flap.

Any ideas? We're not home during the day and I really want him to use the cat flap so he can come and go as he pleases. We got it installed especially.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

When I was trying to train my cats to use one, I was told that if possible to prop the flap up with something secure so they will be able to see whats on the other side, and leave it like that for a week or two.
    This didnt work for me and they still wont use it but its worth a shot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We're trying to train our 5month old pup and 2&half year old dog to use the flap, the pup is getting the idea quicker but we still have to half open the flap to get them to go through. Maybe prop it open for a while (we tried with a stick but the pup kept eating the stick) so that they can go in and out. And maybe use treats to encourage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Give him time he will use it eventually. Cats are very clever and if he really wants -or needs - to go outside he will use it. Have you a litter tray in the house. Maybe if you put that outside for a while he might get the idea and associate going out to do his business with the cat flap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

i've seen cats use handles to open doors, and claw my sleeve to pull my hand to pet them. i think if he really wants out and it's easy for him to see how to use the door, he'll figure it out. i think when you open the big door for him, it's lessening his need to learn. i bet he'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

caesar did this with a dog once!!

if i can remember right he kneeled on opposite side of door (held open) with treat and coaxed pet through. did this until it was no problem.

Then he came to same side as the dog and coaxed throuh (door open again).

Then he got rid of treats and got someone to call dog from inside while he held the door opening.

Finally he had door closed and was gently showing/helping dog to open it while he was being called.

Best of luck - life would be so much easier with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement