Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executions of 1919-1923

Options
  • 09-05-2009 9:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭

I kind of don't expect this thread to last long as i am sure someone will know the answer to my enquiry.

my question is this

when you look at the history of ireland during the period of 1919-1924 which saw the tan war and civil war. many irish men, be it during the tan war or pro and anti treaties men of civil war faced execution. some where hanged and some where executed by firing squads. these executions occurred in places like dublin, limerick etc and in smaller towns during the civil war. in dublin most executions would have occurred in either mountjoy or kilmainham.

i know death is death, but it kind of looks like being shot by firing squad at least recongnises one as a prisioner of war, a soldier, compared to hanging like a common criminal

does anyone know why there were such differences? was it due to certain offences, prison authorities,court martials, martial law etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Firing squads, I always thoughts, were only used in times of war when it practically possible to have a group of soldiers around to carry out the exectution. In peace times hanging was preferred as it involved just one person to carry out the act.

Also I think it generally involved crimes such as treason which in war time would have meant death.

p.s. just found this (wiki and wiki )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Ponster wrote: »
    Firing squads, I always thoughts, were only used in times of war when it practically possible to have a group of soldiers around to carry out the exectution. In peace times hanging was preferred as it involved just one person to carry out the act.

Also I think it generally involved crimes such as treason which in war time would have meant death.

p.s. just found this (wiki and wiki )

aye i notice that but there appeared to be a bit of difference during the tan war eg paddy moran (earnie o malley had escaped in mountjoy but moran refused to escape) he was hanged, so was kevin barry yet most like rory o'connor and erskine childers were shot.

Advertisement