Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably obvious but..

Options
  • 09-05-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I want to be sure, I've seen a lovely camper up North and want to buy it but I want to be sure of it's weight, the log book says customs weight 3400kg, can I take that as the unladen weight? I had googled the particular model and got 2400kg as the unladen weight. It's a compass avantgarde 130.

Thanks,
    leana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't actually know what the "customs" in customs weight stands for, but that looks to me like the maximum weight.

Googled the model and the only spec sheet I could find mentioned 2400 kg unladen and 3200 kg as max weight.

Highly unlikely that this model will be three tons unladen

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

Thanks peasant, I've checked the manufacturers website too and it gives the miro as 2700kgs (or thereabouts) afaik the miro weight includes an allowance for driver, fuel and gas, so it looks like a no no:( Jesus I thought this buying a camper craic would be easy, it's headwrecking..I have learnt a lesson though..check all these things before you drive two hours to have a look at a potential buy;)

It's a pity really, because this looks like a nice van and the ideal size for Irish roads.

This 3 ton rule more or less forces you to buy a camper that is at least one size too big.

Yeah it was lovely, hubby took it for a spin and said it was really nice to drive, we don't really want to have to buy a big lump of a thing having seen how nice some of the smaller 5 berths are but as you said Peasant this 3 ton rule makes it difficult & we can't afford to buy at home. The search continues :confused:

Saw this advertised the other day:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1376747

Seems to be a semi-decent price for an irish reg vehicle. It's early nineties though, not 2000 as advertised. (looks like 93 or 95 on the plate)

My motorhome is the same make (Laika) from 89 but with a different layout and I have been very pleased with the quality of the conversion so far. It's not the prettiest, but well laid out and well put together with lots of thoughtful little details.

This one might be worth a look to see how well it's stood the test of time (if you don't mind driving around in something old.)

• Advertisement

That's quite a nice van, I like the layout but we're looking for something a bit newer, around 04/05 in the hope that we wont have to change it for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you needed/wanted something smaller that was heavy , maybe something based on a Chevyvan ?

Know someone that had one , lovely v8 diesel made it nice and relaxing to drive .

Something like the van halfway down this page but kitted as a camper :

http://www.bitz4oldkarz.com/id7.html

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

bushy... wrote: »
    If you needed/wanted something smaller that was heavy , maybe something based on a Chevyvan ?

Know someone that had one , lovely v8 diesel made it nice and relaxing to drive .

Something like the van halfway down this page but kitted as a camper :

http://www.bitz4oldkarz.com/id7.html

what's the 3 ton rule?

bugsntinas wrote: »
    what's the 3 ton rule?

If you want to import a camper it will only cost €50 in customs charges once its over 3 tons, under 3 tons and you get hit for full vrt.

Bushy that chevy is cool, would love something like that when its just me and the hubby (a wee while yet!) For now we need a 5 berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

Leana don't want to hijack your thread, but would you be interested in this?
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=42677&cat=all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

leana wrote: »
    Bushy that chevy is cool, would love something like that when its just me and the hubby (a wee while yet!) For now we need a 5 berth.

Was a lovely thing ok , didn't feel all plasticky etc , he only had 1 kid at the time so twas grand for short breaks. Kid christened it " the batmobile " because of warp factor 4 acceleration.
    bugsntinas wrote: »
    what's the 3 ton rule?

Do you not know or ?

Anyway , the one in the link is a g20 (so 2995kg gvw :( ) his one was over 3t , they're a bit heavier than they look , add another bit for aircon pack etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I wouldn't let the extra VRT get in the way of buying the van that suits you. Just because it is under 3t and you have to pay VRT doesn't mean you should immediately discount the vehicle. Do the sums, add it all up and see what the total would be and then decide. Don't just rule something out because you would have to pay tax on it.

Obviously, there may be some vehicles which sound like good value but which become not-so-good value when you add in the VRT because they are under 3t.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SHIFTER

leana wrote: »
    I want to be sure, I've seen a lovely camper up North and want to buy it but I want to be sure of it's weight, the log book says customs weight 3400kg, can I take that as the unladen weight? I had googled the particular model and got 2400kg as the unladen weight. It's a compass avantgarde 130.

Thanks,
    leana
    hi leana if yourself or family member or friend is disabled you can get a mh through a dealer without paying the vat we did and saved 6 grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

peasant wrote: »
    Saw this advertised the other day:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1376747

Seems to be a semi-decent price for an irish reg vehicle. It's early nineties though, not 2000 as advertised. (looks like 93 or 95 on the plate)

My motorhome is the same make (Laika) from 89 but with a different layout and I have been very pleased with the quality of the conversion so far. It's not the prettiest, but well laid out and well put together with lots of thoughtful little details.

This one might be worth a look to see how well it's stood the test of time (if you don't mind driving around in something old.)

Just had a look at the ad myself - if it's "dry", then it would be an ideal first camper.. the price is good - the layout is the same as my dethleffs, which suits me, wife and 3 kids... it's a 2.5d (again same as mine) -reasonable pulling power.. it won't have some of the comforts of a more modern van, but then again it hasn't got the price-tag either

As Peasant says - worth a look.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Hi
    We were trying to buy one to avoid VRT, in the end went for a hymer which looks good and so what if a costs a bit extra....Its a crap rule though, I agree.. We had 'bought' one in the North and the dealer sold it to someone else..So went to England and eventually bought in Germany.. Enjoy

Advertisement