Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer problems

Options
  • 09-05-2009 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Wonder if anyone has any idea how to fix this!!
    Im living on campus and for some reason my computer wont connect to the wired connection (only means of interned in oncampus accommodation) and I have tried my computer in other connections in the block and it doesnt work and theirs does!
    I can connect fine wirelessly in the library!

My computer is recognising the wired connection when i plug it in but its not connecting to anything when its plugged in!!

no idea what to do!!
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

maryjm wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone has any idea how to fix this!!
    Im living on campus and for some reason my computer wont connect to the wired connection (only means of interned in oncampus accommodation) and I have tried my computer in other connections in the block and it doesnt work and theirs does!
    I can connect fine wirelessly in the library!

My computer is recognising the wired connection when i plug it in but its not connecting to anything when its plugged in!!

no idea what to do!!
    thanks!

Got your proxy set correctly? In Firefox it's under Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings and it should be if I remember correctly student-proxy.ul.ie and the port should be 8080

In IE it's under Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings -> Proxy Server and it should be set the same as above.

Give that a try and if you've more problems post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Is it possible your mac address has been barred for any reason from using UL's internet?

ie have you been doing any illegal (according to the ITD) activity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emageht

rmacm wrote: »
    Got your proxy set correctly? In Firefox it's under Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings and it should be if I remember correctly student-proxy.ul.ie and the port should be 8080

In IE it's under Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings -> Proxy Server and it should be set the same as above.

Give that a try and if you've more problems post back.
    You don't need to use proxies for HTTP traffic (I've also seen some UDP going through without).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

emageht wrote: »
    You don't need to use proxies for HTTP traffic (I've also seen some UDP going through without).
    Ya I just checked my settings for that in firefox and I have no proxy ticked.
    Everything seems to work for me except torrents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

Thanks for the replies

Its working fine using the wired connection in the library too, just not in my apartment!!
    Its all very strange!
    there is no way i wud have been doing anything illegal!
    For the moment my flatmate has set up a wireless signal from her mac so i can connect to that but its not as good as the wired connection!
    annoying thing is ITD is closed till monday!

Grrrr problems always seem to happen on a friday evening or around exam time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thanks for the replies

Its working fine using the wired connection in the library too, just not in my apartment!!
    Its all very strange!
    For the moment my flatmate has set up a wireless signal from her mac so i can connect to that but its not as good as the wired connection!

Oh so it works sometimes then?

Like have you had the problem since september?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

emageht wrote: »

Hmmm not anymore then it appears.....it's been a while since I've been in UL and had to do web access through there.
    Thanks for the replies

Its all very strange!

Right time for network engineer reply.....when you plug your laptop into the wired connection do the lights on the network card come on? If so you have a physical connection to the network, if not then there's a problem.

After that check if you're getting a valid IP address.....in Windows XP and Vista go Start -> Run -> cmd then type ipconfig /all and post up the output. If you're in a student village the IP address of your laptop should be something like 10.xxx.xxx.xxx the bits with the xxx will vary.

I'm pretty drunk now but if you can get online tomorrow I'll try give a better explanation and see if I can help you fix the problem....pm me if you want some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

Basically it works fine on the wire in the library but not in my apartment!
    When i plug it into the cable in my apartment the bubble comes up saying that am fully connected but when i try to do anything no the internet it wont work!

Its been grand since september (just the odd problem but thats been the whole block without it and not just me and this time its just me)
    It basically completly stopped working last friday! it was fine in the morning at home and then i spent the day in the library and when i got back it wasnt working, I assumed it was the whole block again and I asked one of the others and theirs was working fine!

For the moment my flatmate has set up her mac to send out a wireless signal but its not great and cuts out quite often!

Advertisement