Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid iPhone Question

Options
  • 09-05-2009 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I know some people on these boards have yellowsn0w or factory unlocked iPhones that they are using on networks other than O2 Ireland. I was reading a story that Apple in the US may be opening up their iPhone for sale to Verizon and not just AT&T. However the article did seem to mention something about Verizon needing add some sort of technology to their network to allow this to happen?

So what I'm wondering is, is that not the same in Ireland? Do O2 have some sort of special technology on their network that allows the iPhone to work/work properly?

I'm guessing not seeing others are using iPhones with Vodafone, Meteor etc. But the article did get me thinking. Can non O2 networks in Ireland fully support (allow full functionality) of the iPhone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Hello,

I know some people on these boards have yellowsn0w or factory unlocked iPhones that they are using on networks other than O2 Ireland. I was reading a story that Apple in the US may be opening up their iPhone for sale to Verizon and not just AT&T. However the article did seem to mention something about Verizon needing add some sort of technology to their network to allow this to happen?

So what I'm wondering is, is that not the same in Ireland? Do O2 have some sort of special technology on their network that allows the iPhone to work/work properly?

I'm guessing not seeing others are using iPhones with Vodafone, Meteor etc. But the article did get me thinking. Can non O2 networks in Ireland fully support (allow full functionality) of the iPhone?

The iPhone works on o2, Vodafone and Meteor afaik. It doesn't work on 3 because like Verizon in the US, 3 uses CDMA technology instead of the more standard technology (can't think of the name). There are confirmed iPhones working on Meteor and Vodafone in Ireland.

Meteor and Vodafone could if they wished fully support the iPhone (by implementing Visual Voicemail etc) but they probably won't go to too much effort seeing as they are not selling the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

That's rubbish about iPhone not working on 3.

They work perfectly well on 3.

Not sure of your "source" synacron, but you're misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They were probably referring to LTE (4G) which is currently being tested and will start rolling out in some countries later in this year. Verizon will be the first US company to launch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

3DataModem wrote: »
    That's rubbish about iPhone not working on 3.

They work perfectly well on 3.

Not sure of your "source" synacron, but you're misinformed.

Really? Well, in my defence the last time I heard anything about the iPhone working on 3 was way back when the iPhone 2G had just been unlocked :o. I was talking to a mobile head who said that he couldn't get his iPhone to work with 3's network. I can't recall his exact explanation for why it didn't work but he put it down to 3 having a different network technology to the other networks. I hadn't heard anything on the matter since so thats why I thought they still couldn't work.

Good to hear it does though :D.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Unless they bring out a new form factor iPhone for Verizon, they can't sell the main one on any other US network until next year, when the AT&T exclusive contract runs out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Really? Well, in my defence the last time I heard anything about the iPhone working on 3 was way back when the iPhone 2G had just been unlocked :o. I was talking to a mobile head who said that he couldn't get his iPhone to work with 3's network. I can't recall his exact explanation for why it didn't work but he put it down to 3 having a different network technology to the other networks. I hadn't heard anything on the matter since so thats why I thought they still couldn't work.

Good to hear it does though :D.

Your right the original 2g iphone will not work on the 3 network as its not a 3g handset.
    The new 3g iphone does. Thats probably the confusion your having

Advertisement