Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enquiring on buying a new telescope

Options
  • 09-05-2009 6:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Any tips

I'm thinking about spending 500-600 euro for one. Should I go higher and where in town is the best place to buy one. I'm serious into looking at the stars and planets. What kind of telescope should I be looking out for. I would consider myself the intermediate level in this regard. I'm very attentive and I would sit for hours looking at things. I know lots of time on my hands. But what kind of things am I expected to see out of a good telescope. I would pay decent money for a decent telescope. If I buy one do I have to put it together or what. Thanks for the replies in advanced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Really good selection from the Astronomy Ireland shop. Check the site here. Best bet is to pop into them and have a chat. I bought materials from them last year to make my own scope and found them really helpful.
    For €600 you'll be sorted out for first scope. You'll be treated to the delights of the night sky including open clusters, nebulae, galaxies, planets and everything inbetween! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I would suggest that you compare prices on the Internet and read some reviews before parting with any cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Iridium

I don't have a whole load of astro gear myself, but I know a lot of people who have serious amounts of equipment. Most of those guys would all agree that Astronomy Ireland's prices are way over-inflated. You should definitely be able to find the same stuff cheaper online. Even after delivery is taken into account.

A lot of people I know get their stuff from North Down Telescopes. They seem to be cheaper in a lot of cases, and they will deliver orders by courier.

http://www.northdowntelescopes.co.uk/

Alternatively, if you do find a cheaper price online for something that AI are also selling, let them know. As far as I know, their prices are adjustable, shall we say, if they get the impression you know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Try www.irishastronomy.org

The buy and sell forum has a few items up for sale at the moment and its a buyer market. If there's nothing there, go to the main forum and ask your question - you'll get plenty of advice. Many folks there have been in your shoes and they can tell you how to avoid the mistakes they did.

Personally, I would avoid parting with cash until you've done a fair bit of homework. Besides, you won't miss out on much during the summer months...

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Iridium wrote: »
    http://www.northdowntelescopes.co.uk/

Alternatively, if you do find a cheaper price online for something that AI are also selling, let them know. As far as I know, their prices are adjustable, shall we say, if they get the impression you know what you're talking about.

I'd concur.

Andy McCrae (North Down Telescopes) is a pleasure to deal with.

And yes, if you are determined to use the Astronomy and Space shop, only go them with some quotes from other dealers or from the internet - they will try and price match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement