Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mma/judo/boxing in Kildare

Options
  • 09-05-2009 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    I am living in Rathangan, just looking for some contacts for martial arts clubs in Kildare. I can only train on weekends, so if anyone knows clubs that train on weekends I would appreciate it.

Ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ronan_c wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am living in Rathangan, just looking for some contacts for martial arts clubs in Kildare. I can only train on weekends, so if anyone knows clubs that train on weekends I would appreciate it.

Ronan

Why can you only train on the weekends?.

If thats the case your really going to struggle with any style IMO.

If you don't have time for any physical training at all during the week, then there's not a chance in hell your going to do anything constructive in whatever style you choose, you'll struggle through training while all the other beginners will fire off ahead of you - you'll become dis-illustioned & will most likely throw in the towel.

Sounds harsh I know, but while most styles of Martial Arts are great fun they're also very tough, both physically & mentally and training once a week just won't cut the mustard.

If however your doing some physical training mid-week consider giving two of those nights to a M.A. club, you'll still get a physically demanding workout.

Be selfish with your time & efforts, if you want to learn Martial Arts give up something mid-week and just go for it, and I promise when you find the right club & become a little more experienced you'll realise how nieve it was to think you could learn a Martial Arts style once a week.

Of course I'm open to debate on this, most likely someone will totally contradict this, but generally you'll need more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

As makikomi said, 1 time a week aint great, but i suppose its better than nothing..

Boxing clubs in kildare,
    Maynooth
    Curragh
    Kilcullen
    Ryston
    St Michaels Athy-which are 1 of the best clubs in Ireland.

http://www.iaba.ie/Profile/Affiliated_Clubs/affiliated_clubs.html

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

a few of us do a bit of bjj in the curragh most(not every) sunday, your more than welcome but you wont learn much none of us a trainers we just all just go for time on the mat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Global Kickboxing have a club in Rathangan but I don't know what nights the are on.

Combat Kickboxing in Prosperous train Mon, Wed and Friday. Friday might suit you, but Firidays is a fighters sparring class.

Iv'e heard theres some martails arts in the sports center in Naas on saturdays but I don't know who or what style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ronan_c

I work as part of a 24hr shift rota mon-fri, so I cannot commit to training in a class say, every Wednesday night. I do a fair bit of physical excercise and have received a purple belt in Judo as an U16 and did a couple of years in boxing when I was a teenager. I just wanted to see if there is anywhere that could cater for me as my shift changes or on weekends.
    Thanks for the replies so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnny.m.

Hi,

Ronan
    I am currently in the middle of starting up Shodokan Aikido in Rathangan.
    in the mean time i will be teaching at home in a purpose built gym in Rathangan until the new school year starts or until the end of september if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Maynooth too far? Maynooth Shootfighters train in NUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hi,

Ronan

You could check out: http://www.combativeskildare.com/

They are based in Rathangan and train every Sunday. May or may not suit what you're looking for, but location great for you and day might suit you well too - def worth going once and seeing what you make of it...I'd recommend it anyway...Rob (who runs it) posts on here sometimes also so he could tell you more info...

Advertisement