Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air filtration

Options
  • 08-05-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Anybody got a filtration system in their shop? Its something I've thought of for ages but never got round to/spent money on other things....

I've seen a couple of home made systems that seem to work just as well as a shop bought but for a huge saving.Main thing would be finding a suitable extractor,making a frame and getting filters would be the easy bit.

Any thoughts?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

depends if ur workshop is heated or not.
    I have a bought system in a room sealed press in the corner with an extractor fan on the external wall in the press which both improves the suction and removes the 'filtered' air from the [unheated ] workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Its heated via an electric devi heat matt under the tiles.Only in the dead of winter though.

What type of extractor are you using?How do you mean by a room sealed press? Ta:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'd be interested if anyone comes with a home made job that they could share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I have a recordpower DX750 extractor which when the top filter bag is fully inflated stands about 6.5 feet high.
    the filter is not perfect so u always get some very fine dust in the workshop which is attached to the house so I put it in a sealed press in an external corner with the 100 hose like a socket on the wall:[ like a centralised vaccum cleaner socket.]

Space is at a premium so my floor mounted machines are all on braked rubber wheels which I bring to the extractor and connect with about 5 feet hose.
    [If it is fine, i go out on the paved patio

When the extractor runs, a wall mounted fan mounted on an external wall in the sealed press moves the air that has passed through the filter out to the outside and thus no filtered air remains in the workshop. This set up creates negative pressure in the workshop which means no dust enters the house.

It works well: it also minimises the mess if the bag or filter ever blow off, Overkill maybe but I did have a bag burst and by the time I got the extractor off the sawdust was everywhere.

ps: this system chnges the air in the workshop so if u are heating it the heating bill will go up

to comment on the post below, the press is made of secondhand 4 by 2 and 2nd hand shuttering ply, with the 2 external block walls giving all the support

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Good setup Carlow52. I have two top filter extractors but no presses.I love the idea of an external extractor with plug in pipes for the hoses but just couldn't justifiy the cost. I have a fox with double extractor outlets that I use on the table saw permanently and the other hose for hoovering or the planer/thicknesser. It has a fairly large footprint though,I'm forever falling over piping. The other one is an elctra beckem (sp) well by it's sell by date that I use on the bandsaw. That one blows more than it sucks,but it helps keep the bandsaw sawdust free.Have to say though the fox hasn't sprung any leaks yet,it's only a year old though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement