Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips DVD HDD @ Currys

Options
  • 08-05-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

250gb. 1080 upscaling.

€149 reduced from €199. Good for High St store?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Yes, that's a good bargain.
    Always nice to see an HDD DVD recorder for 149.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    250gb. 1080 upscaling.

€149 reduced from €199. Good for High St store?

Do you have the model number?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

Saw this in Currys today too. Model no: dvdr5570h.

DivX support too, with USB.

Manual here

Trying to find out if it will work with my portable USB powered external drive (yep, the Verbatim one from Dunnes), but can't tell from any reviews I've read (although it seems powered drives will work, so there's hope). For 149 euro I think its worth the risk. Great spec for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

While this is a very good price and a great spec, this machine is quite user unfriendly compared to Philips previous efforts in this area.

The are several annoying things about this machine one is that it is very very slow to react to user inputs from the remote and the remote features a revolutionary click wheel where they should have used buttons instead. The most annoying is the timer recording function uses a gemstar guide and this is total rubbish.

It can play DVDs and upscale to 1080 and has a large capacity HDD which is good.

Spend the 150 and get a very high spec machine but do not expect family members to use the machine, have it on second TV and use as a back up, the older Philips machines are much easier to use, this one is a mis fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

While this is a very good price and a great spec, this machine is quite user unfriendly compared to Philips previous efforts in this area.

The are several annoying things about this machine one is that it is very very slow to react to user inputs from the remote and the remote features a revolutionary click wheel where they should have used buttons instead. The most annoying is the timer recording function uses a gemstar guide and this is total rubbish.

It can play DVDs and upscale to 1080 and has a large capacity HDD which is good.

Spend the 150 and get a very high spec machine but do not expect family members to use the machine, have it on second TV and use as a back up, the older Philips machines are much easier to use, this one is a mis fire.

Fully agree. My Dad won one of these in Golf yesterday and I set it uo today.

I think Giftgrub has summed it up very well. It's a piece of sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Hmmm... I was going to have a look but I think I will give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I have the older model and for the timer i just used the manual option. Does this not have that option? Cause usually if a prog starts at say 9, i set it to start recorded at 8.58 so as to not miss anything, or if it running late. What is wrong with gemstar guide? I thought it just gave a free tv listings? That is surely a bonus? I have ntl digital and the listings on that is just bloody awful. Always takes ages to gather data etc. I was prob going to get one of these tomorrow, but im not sure now. The older model i have is brilliant, so you would think a newer one would be even better? Does it automatically name things that have been recorded, and can you record off an externan device like a vcr, cause that really what i want it for - to transfer videos to dvd? For 150 do you not think it is worth it?

Btw, anyone know if there are many of these available in Liffey Valley? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

Well worth the money.Was 500 euros originally when it first came out.
    It is selling for the price of an ordinary dvd recorder but offers much more.
    I had a dvd recorder before i bought this and i wouldnt go back.

Hdd recording is so much better than dvd recording.
    40 hours HQ recording compared to 1 hour HQ on a dvd.
    No more scratchy RW dvds to worry about.

The click wheel is very fast,so much faster than a foward button once you get used to it.
    You can name recordings manually.
    I record it manually as i am used to recording that way since vhs days.:)

I got mine at a Expert shop in Cork so it is not just a Currys bargain.

I see what some people above me are saying about it but i for one am very happy with mine.

Perhaps they could tell the rest of us what HDD recorders they have and what price they paid.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Also picked one up yesterday in a local electrical shop - granted it was €169 but its worth the €20 to save me travelling to get one elsewhere. The menus may not be perfect but its not far off half the price of the next available equivalent (of any recognised brand). So compromises maybe but value, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

SilverCrest HDMI DVD Player

* HDMI connection up to 1080p for the transmission of digital video and audio data
    * 7-in-2 memory card reader
    * Recording from audio CD onto USB or memory card media
    * Connections: USB 2.0, 5.1 Dolby Digital reproduction, optical & coaxal, VGA, 1 x scart, 1 x cinch, S-Video, 3.5mm headphone output
    * Nero recording software CD (30 day test version)
    * Available in black or silver
    * 3 year guarantee
    * Price per item

This is selling for 44 euro at lidl, Does it basically do what the Philips HDD does. I mean like record and transfer files to your computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

pirelli wrote: »

* HDMI connection up to 1080p for the transmission of digital video and audio data
    * Connections: USB 2.0, 5.1 Dolby Digital reproduction, optical & coaxal, VGA, 1 x scart, 1 x cinch, S-Video, 3.5mm headphone output
    * 3 year guarantee
    * Price per item

This is selling for 44 euro at lidl, Does it basically do what the Philips HDD does. I mean like record and transfer files to your computer.
    No it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

* 3 year guarantee
    * Price per item

huh? It doesn't have a hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

colsku wrote: »

I think Giftgrub has summed it up very well. It's a piece of sh1t

So Mean But Maybe True (Slightly NSFW)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

* 3 year guarantee
    * Price per item

Nope, it's a DVD PLAYER, not a recorder...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I got one of these today and its true that it is most definatly not user friendly and takes alot of getting use to and looking through the manual which is annoying, but there are alot of good things about it too. The fact it can play and record off a USB Key is very usefull (although i cant seem to figure out how to fast forward/skip chapters on the content - it says it isnt possible which is odd - does anyone know how to change this setting?). What is annoying is that when you record something onto the HDD and then go to delete it - it wont let you unless you either turn off the player or delete the TBS. On the older model I have it is far less complicated. you can do what you like without encountering such problems.The scroll wheel is good though, especially when going through the alphabet when naming titles. At first I regreted getting it and felt i shoudl just got the older verion again (€139 in Powercity) due to the simplicity, but im sure ill get use to this. The TV Guide thing will be usefull as well I assume (although i need to keep it on standby for up to 24 hours for it to load properly).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

SB-08 wrote: »
    I got one of these today and its true that it is most definatly not user friendly and takes alot of getting use to and looking through the manual which is annoying, but there are alot of good things about it too. The fact it can play and record off a USB Key is very usefull (although i cant seem to figure out how to fast forward/skip chapters on the content - it says it isnt possible which is odd - does anyone know how to change this setting?). What is annoying is that when you record something onto the HDD and then go to delete it - it wont let you unless you either turn off the player or delete the TBS. On the older model I have it is far less complicated. you can do what you like without encountering such problems.The scroll wheel is good though, especially when going through the alphabet when naming titles. At first I regreted getting it and felt i shoudl just got the older verion again (€139 in Powercity) due to the simplicity, but im sure ill get use to this. The TV Guide thing will be usefull as well I assume (although i need to keep it on standby for up to 24 hours for it to load properly).

I assume the digital tuner is no good for ireland, DID had a nice litter DVD writter with DTT tuner for €99, but seems to be only mpeg2 on the tuner side, pity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

There's a 160gb Philips hard disk DVD recorder on Ibood today for €99.95 plus the €12.50 postage. link

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

There's a 160gb Philips hard disk DVD recorder on Ibood today for €99.95 plus the €12.50 postage. link

Looks good... no HDMI / HD upscaling though. For the extra HDD space and HDMI I think the Currys one still looks like the better deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I assume the digital tuner is no good for ireland, DID had a nice litter DVD writter with DTT tuner for €99, but seems to be only mpeg2 on the tuner side, pity...

Do you mean that the tv's that people are buyiny now are not going to work when ireland switches over? Any chance of a link to a pagewith more info please, Sorry for going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Don't have a link, but Ireland's using MPEG 4 encoding for DTT, so if your TV only supports MPEG 2 (the standard adopted in the UK) then you're in the poo poo and you got no wellies.

Edit - about 1/4 down the page - references another article and it's about 9 months old:
    http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/ireland/index.xml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

cork45 wrote: »
    Do you mean that the tv's that people are buyiny now are not going to work when ireland switches over? Any chance of a link to a pagewith more info please, Sorry for going off topic.

This is a complicated area. This forum discusses the new DTT system in a lot of depth.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Here are compatible TVs.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420793

To summarise... The Irish DTT system (which is already operating in test mode) uses MPEG4.

Most DTT TVs/recorders use MPEG2 which is the UK standard (although they want now to go to MPEG4).

Some TVs do MPEG4, but not many. This will increase over time. By switchover most likely all TVs on sale at that point will be fully compatible but yes, a lot of people will have to buy set-top boxes, including most of those buying TVs this year.

Best to discuss further on the other forum.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

so just to clarify then.

A DVD recorder with digital tuner, is pretty much useless to us here in Ireland.

BTW, getting back on topic, powercity have another Philips (that a good or bad thing)
    Model number DVDR3577H. 160 GB, HDMI, USB for €129
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/product/86195-Philips-DVDR3577H-160-GB-Hard-disk_DVD-recorder.html

mind you, the new argos book should be out relatively soon, so I guess we could hold out and see if something good comes up.

Advertisement