Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So if God...........

Options
  • 08-05-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

created the world. then who created god?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

tolteq wrote: »

I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

It is Unbegotten, the Primal Ground, The Source.

Respect what It has done. Marvellous work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

............what the hell is god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

grasshopa wrote: »
    ............what the hell is god?

It is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

so if god .....CARED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moviesrme

Peole retorting with one liners because it's of course unanswerable.

Its an intriguing thought you effectively pose though viz. no matter how intelligent you are etc Einstein or whatever you might eventually describe evenything from the big bang or equivalent newer theory of hte start of the universe but you will always be stuck with what created that and so on. And I think this applies no matter how sophisticated the argument ie. It must have come from nothing eventually.
    Religion as you allude is no answer either as as you say "who created God?"

I have mused before to myself that theer is no (very little) true undersanding in the world; it;s all just observation leading to fundamental rules described leading to manipulation and the use by humans for their benefit. But what actually causes A to lead to B remains a mystery.
    Creationists say God created man QED Dawkins goes to great pains to argue evolution describes ow man arises from that which existed after the big bang so you might say a mechanical system produces man from the basic of basic matter according to Dawkins therefore that original matter is as wonderful as man but he has nothing to say re were that original matter came form. He does of course know this and says its an emergent situation and science will prevail eventually and that's fine.

The whole thing is so unsatisfyinh though.

Actually I just had another thought. My paragraph above states there is no understanding just observation the implication being we have to dig deeper; steup up to the plate ; max the envelope to get the real deal but there can be no real deal???! No matter how fundamentally you describe anything there will always be "What causes that?" Jesus maybe this is why scientists cant find the fundamental units of matter they just get smaller things; quarks, bosons etc. I gotta call CERN and tell them to quit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

If God was created by something then what created that which created God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

Probably one of the turtles...but who created the turtles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

IrishSerf wrote: »

An infinite number of turtles!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

God or Yahweh had a father named El, before El there was only El. He also has a brother named Baal, but in the struggle for power Baal lost.

Serious example which sums up my thoughts on this, I believe the universe may have been created through a self generating loop type thing. For example when Skynet sends a terminator back into the past it causes its own existence in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

God or Yahweh had a father named El, before El there was only El. He also has a brother named Baal, but in the struggle for power Baal lost.

Serious example which sums up my thoughts on this, I believe the universe may have been created through a self generating loop type thing. For example when Skynet sends a terminator back into the past it causes its own existence in the future.

Have we learned nothing? It was Bill Cosby's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great Grandfather's mate Cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

If someone created GOD then there will be a greater GOD. Nobody created him
    because he is the only creator and GOD and that is why we use the word "GOD" not "GODS". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

If someone created GOD then there will be a greater GOD. Nobody created him
    because he is the only creator and GOD and that is why we use the word "GOD" not "GODS". :D

Elohim is plural ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

God must be the first cause or else he is not God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

so if god created the world. then who created god?

'god'= physics ->physics created the world (lets not be local here) and everything else ->Man created god as man didnt know about physics-> physics = god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stevej

God is the only necessary being - we are all contingent. We are contingent on our parents having created us etc., just as they are on their parents etc........

You can keep going back but not to an infinite regress......it must start somewhere.

If we see a ball rolling down the road, something had to start that - it can't happen by itself, and it's the same with creation. Nothing can appear from nothing. Something must have started the chain, and that something has to be a necessary being that can't have been created itself.

As someone already said, if we say a big bang started everything, then where did the big bang come from? What caused that? Everything must have a cause in order to realise an effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

IrishSerf wrote: »

I thought they were created in some sort of nuclear accident in the new york sewers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

....then who created god?

We did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marabhfuil

I saw god once. He was driving a Mercedez and he was crying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marabhfuil

Man... God is there alright. He's just getting too much diversion out of us to interviene. In fact we are teaching him. We explain to him what things are. For example he can't feel sorrow so he experiences it through us-though he never actually feels sorry. Its all a big game of his divise. really it doesn't matter to him what you do. your actions only affect each other. If ye get me.

Whats that?... Okay... He says to stop thinking about him coz your confusing him... okay... He says just get on with it and have more fun... okay...he likes that he says...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭X AcT X EviL

'god'= physics ->physics created the world (lets not be local here) and everything else ->Man created god as man didnt know about physics-> physics = god.

I couldn't put it better myself. No seriously, I couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

If God was created by something then what created that which created God?

Hold on, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    Let's do this thing one step at a time:

So anyone got an answer to the OP yet.
    Anyone??

Then we'll do yours.
    OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Well first of all, what "god" are you talking about here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

stevej wrote: »
    God is the only necessary being - we are all contingent. We are contingent on our parents having created us etc., just as they are on their parents etc........

You can keep going back but not to an infinite regress......it must start somewhere.

If we see a ball rolling down the road, something had to start that - it can't happen by itself, and it's the same with creation. Nothing can appear from nothing. Something must have started the chain, and that something has to be a necessary being that can't have been created itself.

As someone already said, if we say a big bang started everything, then where did the big bang come from? What caused that? Everything must have a cause in order to realise an effect.

Everything requires a cause.

Except one thing.

Brilliant.

And what is the something that can't have been created made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

I couldn't put it better myself. No seriously, I couldn't.

Nor I! That's it in a nutshell. Have ya looked into Nassim Haramein's work? Physicist. He's working on a unified field theory based on a fractalized universe, i.e. on the old alchemical principle of 'the part contains the whole' or 'as Above so Bellow.'

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

stevej wrote: »

Why does it have to start somewhere, our minds may tell us that things must have beginnings but what if somethings have no beginings?
    What if it they just always there? (Seems more plausible than something from nothing)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Malty_T wrote: »
    Why does it have to start somewhere, our minds may tell us that things must have beginnings but what if somethings have no beginings?
    What if it they just always there? (Seems more plausible than something from nothing)

Yep, hard to put into words why, but that's the way I see it too. The universe is ever-expanding into infinity and ever-contracting into infinity - everything always was. Our minds, locked within a binary paradigm, will never completely accept this.
    Beyond the binary paradigm though, we do, all of us - comprehension is total without the need for 'beginnings' or 'endings' - and that direct experience of our totality, is that which we call 'God.'

God is not an old bearded fella sitting on a cloud... I duno what Micheal Angelo was smoking when he painted that!

But the direct experience of God, of our totality and interconnectedness with all things, with creation itself, that is God - and that which we all, deep down, yearn to return to, I think...

Does that make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yep, hard to put into words why, but that's the way I see it too.
    Beyond the binary paradigm though, we do, all of us - comprehension is total without the need for 'beginnings' or 'endings' - and that direct experience of our totality, is that which we call 'God.'

God is not an old bearded fella sitting on a cloud... I duno what Micheal Angelo was smoking when he painted that!

But the direct experience of God, of our totality and interconnectedness with all things, with creation itself, that is God - and that which we all, deep down, yearn to return to, I think...

Does that make sense?
    The universe is ever-expanding into infinity and ever-contracting into infinity - everything always was. Our minds, locked within a binary paradigm, will never completely accept this.

Put in words better than I could anyway, now let's try layman terms ;)

Not sure about the whole return to thing though; I love life for what it is - energy sounds plain old boring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement