Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps on stars

Options
  • 08-05-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I am gonna start playing the steps qualifiers on stars , is there any recommended way to play these???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Some good threads on 2+2. Play the first 3 steps tight in the early stages and very agressive later on, most players don't have a clue. The Step 4s & 5s are a whole lot tougher as pro STT players play them and needless to say unless you are excellent at poker you are the fish at Step 6! I won a Step 6 in mid-Feb and probably won't use it until the end of the year when the lower buy-in live events (AAPT and LAPT) Steps are back, no chance I'm putting up a ticket worth $2,100 against Stevie444, bustosoon and the other legends in a WSOP Step 6!

I got to Step 6 last year and came 2nd in a WSOP Step 6 for $1,500 (they changed the payout structure this year and 'broke' the WSOP Steps for most casual players), beaten heads-up by QuasiFiction - check out his Sharkscope and OPR to see the type of player that excels in these!

However, I think the new Step 4a which pays out $650 entries to Stars' Sunday night WSOP super sat is a good move and one I will focus on if I decide to play any.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ionapaul wrote: »
    beaten heads-up by QuasiFiction - check out his Sharkscope and OPR to see the type of player that excels in these!

wow - he has a ROI of 17% over 38,400 hands = winnin over 145K - thats so sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

A great way to get into the Sunday Million etc for fpp or a few $'s.

The tight early, shove later thing makes the low steps a doddle.

The only time I tried the big steps, the difference in class was a shock to the system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

they seemed like great value last year when they were all satellite->satellite->satellite, this year I didn't even bother looking at them as they aren't much better than the equivalent buyin SNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

I give up after step 4 and usually use them for sunday million or warmup. I think I am going to start using them for the €215 wsop double shootout and try to run like god. I prefer this than playing a step 6. The line up is just sick. A guy Pm'd me on 2+2 before saying he was trying to arrange a few step 6's for people that have qualified up the steps and wanted a more legitimate shot of winning a seat at the wsop. I'm not quite sure how he was going to go about it but the idea was to just get a step 6 running with no pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Even last year it was quite strange not to have at least five or six regs at every table of the step six, they obviously made a packet off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

Most people I know buy in at step 3 or 4, if I were you I would start at step 1, only $7.50 and redic soft, very hard not to progress from there.

As is typical on stars, and STTs for that matter, it's better to just play tight and solid. Don't drop chips early on, try win a few small pots when you pick up decent hands, but don't take any unneccessary risks. The dunkeys drop out fast and your patience will be rewarded. 1 & 2 are very very soft, 3 is a noticeable improved standard but still very beatable. 4 is were it gets tricky alright, 5 & particularly 6 are deadly as they tend to have a lot of huge online winning players in them. But anyone can run good for an STT right?

VGL with it :)

Advertisement