Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs with World Beers - Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 08-05-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking pubs in Dublin which have a decent selection of world beers? I know that the Porterhouses and the Bull & Castle have a good variety, but does anyone know of any others around?

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You'll get odd ones like Duvel and Chimay in places like Thomas Read, Le Cirk and Solas. Then there's slightly unusual draught options in The Czech Inn and Sin É. Nowhere you can really work through a list of options like Porterhouse and Bull & Castle, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mexico66

:):rolleyes:
    The Dice Bar on Queen Street and Sin e on Upper Ormond Quay have 4 new imported beers on draught from The Big Hand Brewery. Details from http://www.bighandbrewery.com

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Cheers guys ;) Actually I was in The Dice Bar yesterday evening and tried a couple of those Augustijns - not bad at all.

Mexico66 wrote: »
    The Big Hand Brewery
    Which is, of course, not a brewery at all. While the provenance of the three Belgians is given, I'm told that the Wicked Cider is actually rebadged Weston's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

BeerNut wrote: »
    Which is, of course, not a brewery at all. While the provenance of the three Belgians is given, I'm told that the Wicked Cider is actually rebadged Weston's.

what's your point?

• Advertisement

Big Hand Brewery: not a brewery. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I have had the Celis White in Sin E, not bad

:)Well on a positive note BeerNut they did set up a new business in the middle of a big recession. By the way I was in their warehouse in East Arran Street a few weeks ago on a Saturday morning when a shipment of beer arrived from Belgium. The beer had all been kegged only 4/5 days before arrival in Dublin and it was being shipped out to the Dice Bar, Sin é and the Cobblestone for consumption that weekend. Also all the empty kegs in the warehouse were dated only a few weeks before that. New beer is coming in from Belgium every few weeks apparently. So maybe they're not brewing beer yet, but they do have the freshest draught beer in Dublin at the moment.
    Also Wicked Cider is a cider from another brewery in the UK, but at least it's hands down the best draught cider available in Dublin today.
    On that note I'm off for a Sparta Pils on the northside. Think positive for '09 BeerNut.

Thanks Kieran. Hope it goes well for you.

So what's with the "Brewery" in your business name?

:)Well I think the plan is rather than building a brewery and then trying to find customers, like before. The new plan is build a customer base and then start brewing beer.
    Whereas all the companies on the list of Irish craft brewers are brewing beer!!!

• Advertisement

Mexico66 wrote: »
    The new plan is build a customer base and then start brewing beer.
    Excellent. I think Sin É is definitely going the right way with that, by offering quality alternatives. But I'm sure I don't need to tell you that it's an uphill struggle in the world's most brand-loyal country.

That said, having a dedicated outlet is a massive advantage in bringing new beer to the market. And between Sin É, Dice Bar, and the Bull & Castle across the river it looks to me that building a market for Irish craft beer is easier than it has ever been. Add in the Porterhouse's bottling line for hire and even bottling isn't going to be the nightmare it was in the Dublin Brewing Company days.

More sliotars from the ditch, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

The Welcome Inn on Parnell Street has a few Czech beers and the Maredsous 6,8 and 10. Also not a bar obviously but Kilkenny Design Centre has Affligem for sale. Anseo on Camden Street has a few interesting bottles too, but at Beernut says Sin É, Dice Bar and Bull & Castle are your best bets, and Porterhouse too with their €4 specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Was just in ryans on parkgate street and they have the likes of duvel, westmalle tripel, rochfort and others in the fridge. Also with galway hooker on tap...yum, yum :D

Advertisement