Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise needed for first time renter

Options
  • 08-05-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

My wife and I will be viewing a house this evening. Just wondering has anyone any advise on questions to ask or indeed questions not to ask when first viewing a house?

What I mean is if I like the place should I try to haggle a price then? or does letting the agent wait a bit produce better results? I do like area the house is in, just don't want to pay quite as much as they are asking for. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, first be sure it is really the house for you and that everything you need is really there.

If it's too much for you, then ask whether that is the absolute best he can do on the rent.

Don't expect to get a big discount. 5 percent is all I would expect there to be.

This is hypothetical though, every rental area is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the most important advice to give you is to view the place properly

the amount of times ive seen people say I just mvoed in and x is broken or y is noisy or z is not working is unbelievable

and when I say view it properly.

Check the toilet flushs right, the shower works, the things in the fridge are cold, the cooker is ok, all the lights are working and so on and so forth.

secondly if you decide to take it make sure to make a list of any imperfectons or anything broken before you sign the lease and ensure you hand a copy to the leasing company / landlord so that they cant blame you for this and use it as an excuse not to return your deposit.

also get fully itimised list of the furnishings.

regarding the rental amount, check daft etc for other properties in the area and get a view on what the market value is for rent in the area, point this out and have print outs of similar properties which are going for less and use this as a basis for negoiting the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hey Sess,

Try look past what you like about the house and make sure and take note on what you dont like as it is very easy to rent on the basis of a first impression, and remember you'll be living there for a year!

In terms of price, I grant you that there is more then likely 5 similar properties in the vicinity...If you constrain yourself to only having the property in question as a candidate then you hamper your bargaining ability.

Houses are aolt more difficult to rent then apartments and I can imagine the landlord will be rubbing their hands in anticipation of you renting the place...to put numbers on it, if the house was up for rent at €1500, I'd offer €1200!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Houses are aolt more difficult to rent then apartments and I can imagine the landlord will be rubbing their hands in anticipation of you renting the place...to put numbers on it, if the house was up for rent at €1500, I'd offer €1200!

Is it really possible to get that much knocked off?

I'm looking to move in with my boyf, into a house, but don't really want to spend more that €1k a month ( otherwise we can't save for a deposit for purchasing a house a year or two down the line). We saw some places we really liked for €1,200 a month but had thought we had no chance?

This renting thing still sounds scary!

Alicat wrote: »
    Is it really possible to get that much knocked off?

I'm looking to move in with my boyf, into a house, but don't really want to spend more that €1k a month ( otherwise we can't save for a deposit for purchasing a house a year or two down the line). We saw some places we really liked for €1,200 a month but had thought we had no chance?

This renting thing still sounds scary!

In the times we are in you'd be a touch mad to pay the price advertised for rental properties and more so for houses for rent.

There is many a LL out there that would take €1k a month for a house they have lying idle. If you see a house you like at €1200, offer the €1k! Worst they'll say is no.

Why not an apartment (if you dont mind me asking).

I took my current lease out in Aug'08 on a one bed apartment @€;1200 pm :eek: , we've got the LL to reduce it to €1100 but new one beds across the city are going for €900, when our lease is up we will tell the LL to drop to €900 or we're outie, it's a huge drop for the LL but a huge saving for us.

• Advertisement

In the times we are in you'd be a touch mad to pay the price advertised for rental properties and more so for houses for rent.

There is many a LL out there that would take €1k a month for a house they have lying idle. If you see a house you like at €1200, offer the €1k! Worst they'll say is no.

Why not an apartment (if you dont mind me asking).

I took my current lease out in Aug'08 on a one bed apartment @€;1200 pm :eek: , we've got the LL to reduce it to €1100 but new one beds across the city are going for €900, when our lease is up we will tell the LL to drop to €900 or we're outie, it's a huge drop for the LL but a huge saving for us.

Well we've pinpointed this particular area because we both work on opposite ends of the city (which is highly unlikely to change, a job's a job! :D ) and it's pretty much a perfect middle ground and we both like the area from what we've seen. We've seen apartments that are going for the same or more as the house so we figured why not get a house? There seems to be a better chance of getting more parking space with a house (we both have cars). We want at least two beds cause all these one beds just dont seem big enough for all our stuff!

So if we can get a house for the same or less as an apartment, we'd choose a house. We're not against apartments but the house just seems better value. And its three bed, so lots of space for the same price as some of the one bed apartments.

We've considered sharing with a couple we know, but to be honest we're both quite fussy and want to be able to enjoy living together for the first time without dealing with other tenants.

Well we've pinpointed this particular area because we both work on opposite ends of the city (which is highly unlikely to change, a job's a job! :D ) and it's pretty much a perfect middle ground and we both like the area from what we've seen. We've seen apartments that are going for the same or more as the house so we figured why not get a house? There seems to be a better chance of getting more parking space with a house (we both have cars). We want at least two beds cause all these one beds just dont seem big enough for all our stuff!

So if we can get a house for the same or less as an apartment, we'd choose a house. We're not against apartments but the house just seems better value. And its three bed, so lots of space for the same price as some of the one bed apartments.

We've considered sharing with a couple we know, but to be honest we're both quite fussy and want to be able to enjoy living together for the first time without dealing with other tenants.

I'm quite the seasoned renter so I'll tell you my view on the pros and cons of everything you mentioned (well I'll try :pac: )

Firstly you're dead right on the sharing with others, DO NOT.I could expand more here but there is no need, you already know.

I LOL'd when you explained your reason for the choice of location as me and my GF chose an apartment that was equidistant between both of our jobs!

For €1000 pm you could get a brand new apartment to rent, with that comes unparalleled insulation, most apartments just have electric heaters which means you've no oil/gas bill (electricity bills will be high but when you factor in the lack of a heating bill then its ok), good security. There maybe issue with neighbour noise depending in build quality and need ing two parking spaces will more then likely be an issue

Your reasons for wanting a house are very valid but some points to bear in mind are that a house costs more to run in terms of electricity/heat, houses usually have more maintenance requirements and houses 'can' be less secure. Neighbour noise should not be an issue if its semi-detached and parking wont be an issue for two cars.

You also mention that you like the idea of having more space but in my experience, the more excess space you have the more crap you accumulate, this is not a problem until you move and when you rent you move regularly (regularly would be yearly in my book) and moving is about the most stressful act a human being can engage in!!!

Overall, view every property that is available. Choose whats comfey for you guys, dont pay the price advertised and try get a 6month lease. It's a good time to start renting, the market favours renters.

I'm quite the seasoned renter so I'll tell you my view on the pros and cons of everything you mentioned (well I'll try :pac: )

Firstly you're dead right on the sharing with others, DO NOT.I could expand more here but there is no need, you already know.

I LOL'd when you explained your reason for the choice of location as me and my GF chose an apartment that was equidistant between both of our jobs!

For €1000 pm you could get a brand new apartment to rent, with that comes unparalleled insulation, most apartments just have electric heaters which means you've no oil/gas bill (electricity bills will be high but when you factor in the lack of a heating bill then its ok), good security. There maybe issue with neighbour noise depending in build quality and need ing two parking spaces will more then likely be an issue

Your reasons for wanting a house are very valid but some points to bear in mind are that a house costs more to run in terms of electricity/heat, houses usually have more maintenance requirements and houses 'can' be less secure. Neighbour noise should not be an issue if its semi-detached and parking wont be an issue for two cars.

You also mention that you like the idea of having more space but in my experience, the more excess space you have the more crap you accumulate, this is not a problem until you move and when you rent you move regularly (regularly would be yearly in my book) and moving is about the most stressful act a human being can engage in!!!

Overall, view every property that is available. Choose whats comfey for you guys, dont pay the price advertised and try get a 6month lease. It's a good time to start renting, the market favours renters.

Thanks for all the tips :D The house is actually detached but it is in an estate. A 3 bed detatched house in an area we actually like for €1k/m would be perfect! :pac:

For the past year the boyf has been living in rented accomodation with three workmates so I've been using their bills as a guide and we have talked already about how we'll have to watch the bills, such as we'll make sure the rads are off in rooms we don't use as much, keep doors closed, wear jumpers and slippers! (One of the boyfs current workmates wears shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops around the house but then turns on the heat full blast all day! If I lived there I'd kill him! :p )

We don't plan on renting for more than a year or two if we can help it tbh. With the property prices coming down like they are, we plan on buying in the next few years (presuming we don't kill eachother with our first move-in together :p) . And so hopefully we won't be doing very much moving around, so no hassle with lots of stuff. I'm a bit of a hoarder anyway and I don't think a smaller space will cure me :pac:

I did think maybe apartments would be more secure (particularly relevent to me seeing as the boyf will be working quite a few shift hours leaving me by myself) but it's the hassle of dealing with other people I don't want. I mean, depends on the other people living in the apartment block, technically anyone could be coming into the communal spaces/hallways! :confused: And I don't want to have to interview all our neighbours :pac:

I did think maybe apartments would be more secure (particularly relevent to me seeing as the boyf will be working quite a few shift hours leaving me by myself) but it's the hassle of dealing with other people I don't want. I mean, depends on the other people living in the apartment block, technically anyone could be coming into the communal spaces/hallways! :confused: And I don't want to have to interview all our neighbours :pac:

Thats all fair and sensible, although I dont want to come across as a scrooge. By all means turn off rads in unused rooms but never go cold to try save money, it's just not worth it.

Ok, if you go for a house, make sure it has an alarm to give you piece of mind if you're ever by yourself (but I'm sure you're well able to take care of yourself ;) )

€1000pm may be a little optimistic for a 3bed as I dont know the area you're looking at but no matter what the price, offer €200 less as a starting offer!

Oh and Ive lived in two seperate apartment complexes for a year each and Ive never seen my neighbours in either!!!! :p

Thats all fair and sensible, although I dont want to come across as a scrooge. By all means turn off rads in unused rooms but never go cold to try save money, it's just not worth it.

Ok, if you go for a house, make sure it has an alarm to give you piece of mind if you're ever by yourself (but I'm sure you're well able to take care of yourself ;) )

€1000pm may be a little optimistic for a 3bed as I dont know the area you're looking at but no matter what the price, offer €200 less as a starting offer!

Oh and Ive lived in two seperate apartment complexes for a year each and Ive never seen my neighbours in either!!!! :p

Yeah it probably is very optimistic, but sure I won't know til I try :D It's fairly new area and found it kinda by chance, didn't know too much about it beforehand.

But it's still early days, we only started really looking last week. We have been talking for the past while about moving in together but only cautiously, there were a few rows over location before we found this place. We don't want to jump too soon but we don't want to miss an opportunity either. Ugh, all these responsible adult decisions! :p Living at home is just getting too much now.

Yeah I'd be pushing for an alarm, and double locks too. Was reading about the Bump Key in another thread here :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Hey Sess,

Try look past what you like about the house and make sure and take note on what you dont like as it is very easy to rent on the basis of a first impression, and remember you'll be living there for a year!

In terms of price, I grant you that there is more then likely 5 similar properties in the vicinity...If you constrain yourself to only having the property in question as a candidate then you hamper your bargaining ability.

Thanks for the advise. The first two houses I looked at were nice. But the first one was very sparsely furnished for something that was advertised as fully furnished. The location however was very nice. The second one was what I would describe as "charming". The kind of house I'd like to buy if houses prices were at realistic levels. But because you can't do much with a rental property its off the list.

I'll be looking at another 4 bed semi detached this evening in Celbridge. Currently all the houses I'm looking at are going for about 1100 per month asking price. I was thinking of offering around 950 and maybe paying 1000 per month. Do you think I could get away with a lower initial offer? Most places are looking for 1 year leases. I was thinking of asking for a 6 months lease if agents prove stubborn on prices, good idea or bad idea?

But it's still early days, we only started really looking last week.

Well just make sure you look at everything!

Thanks for the advise. The first two houses I looked at were nice. But the first one was very sparsely furnished for something that was advertised as fully furnished. The location however was very nice. The second one was what I would describe as "charming". The kind of house I'd like to buy if houses prices were at realistic levels. But because you can't do much with a rental property its off the list.

I'll be looking at another 4 bed semi detached this evening in Celbridge. Currently all the houses I'm looking at are going for about 1100 per month asking price. I was thinking of offering around 950 and maybe paying 1000 per month. Do you think I could get away with a lower initial offer? Most places are looking for 1 year leases. I was thinking of asking for a 6 months lease if agents prove stubborn on prices, good idea or bad idea?

Look at every place on offer, take notes on each so you can evaluate the options more easily after.

In terms of price, all bets are off. Offer €800 if you want (maybe tell the LL you'll give €1100 as a deposit for their piece of mind)

Everything is negotiable, price, lease. You may have LL's who maybe shocked at your offer but if you've told them you'll move in and pay 'x' amount per month then give them your number then it will only be a matter of time.

At the end of the day, I'm not trying to tell you to get the lowest price possible..it's about trying to beat the future market price so you dont get locked into a lease paying more then you should (like me now :o )

I saw two nice houses yesterday evening. Just wondering is it a common trick to tell people there is someone supposed to come back with a deposit that night...... but that if I give a deposit now...... Then I can have the home?

Other query I have is that I have a Labrador! Very very few places on Daft actually have the "pets allowed" in the advertisement. Are landlords usually very hesitant to allow pets in the home? I can understand their anxiety, but I'd say I'd possibly give 2 months rent as a deposit if that might ease their worries! Not sure how to best reassure a potential land lord that my dog won't destroy their lawn or eat their furniture! Not without me putting it right before I leave anyway :)

I saw two nice houses yesterday evening. Just wondering is it a common trick to tell people there is someone supposed to come back with a deposit that night...... but that if I give a deposit now...... Then I can have the home?

Oldest trick in the book, sometimes they are telling the truth but once you don’t ‘have’ to have that house then you can call their bluff and furthermore, once you know they were bluffing you know that they are that bit more desperate which gives you more room to bargain down the price.
    Other query I have is that I have a Labrador! Very very few places on Daft actually have the "pets allowed" in the advertisement. Are landlords usually very hesitant to allow pets in the home? I can understand their anxiety, but I'd say I'd possibly give 2 months rent as a deposit if that might ease their worries! Not sure how to best reassure a potential land lord that my dog won't destroy their lawn or eat their furniture! Not without me putting it right before I leave anyway

Well this can be of genuine concern to a LL, especially if you intend to have the dog in the house. It’s all down to the LL, most who would have been reluctant in that past may allow pets now due to the dip in the rental market but once you are up front about it then you should be fine. (once the dog does not go all Turner and Hooch on the house)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, not necessarily, it is a perfectly tenable position for the landlord to say that whomever of the acceptable prospective tenants comes up with the deposit first gets the place. Normally, the smart thing for the landlord to say would be that someone has looked at it and says they are interested, but that he is waiting for them to give the references. Then the tenant asks if it's gone, and the landlord shrugs and says, 'well, it depends on whether and when they come back with the references ...'.

It is loony for a landlord to try to pressure-sell someone into renting a place. It is just a recipe for strife and mayhem.

It is also loony at this stage of the game for a landlord to rent to you without doing some sort of reference check.

A labrador is going to make things difficult. It certainly puts you in a weaker position to negotiate on money. It's one thing to say 'can my dog come too?', it's quite another to say 'can my dog come too, oh, and could you see your way to knocking another 100 off?'

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Guys,
    Speaking with my LL hat on here, this is my opinion/experience.
    If i have a property empty i will put it back up at the rent i previously got or if the market has changed up or down i will match it by checking similar properties on Daft and local paper etc...
    If i put it up for 1200 and someone offers me 1000 i would literally laugh at them, The market is not like that at the moment contrary to what some people here believe. If it was like that then i would put it on at 1500 and accept 1200....

If you like the house and it is worth the rent to you then go for it or make a resonable offer (maybe 100 off or something like that). I would consider offers close to the mark only after a few weeks if i got no responses.

I currently have a house which will be available in two - three weeks time. I dropped the price already and have a tenant at asking price already and one waiting if it falls through.

It will always depend on the landlord if he takes or rejects an offer but don't expect miracles. It is always worth asking however and if they say no ask what is the minimum they would take. Bear in mind that 100 euro off a month equals 1200 a year. This is the same as having it empty for one month. Any more than this they may take the risk of leaving it up at the higher price. I know i certianly would as it is tax beneficial to me to do so.
    Also i would NEVER EVER let someone bring a dog into any of my houses again. It is definately not worth the risk.
    Smell, damage, hair etc... NEVER i say!!

Hope this helps.
    Gibo

gibo_ie wrote: »
    Also i would NEVER EVER let someone bring a dog into any of my houses again. It is definately not worth the risk.

Hope this helps.
    Gibo

I wasn't planning on giving my dog an upstairs room with a bed ;) But thanks for the insight! I can see even with hard cash I'll probably have trouble finding a house that will accept pets.

gibo_ie wrote: »
    Guys,
    Speaking with my LL hat on here, this is my opinion/experience.
    If i have a property empty i will put it back up at the rent i previously got or if the market has changed up or down i will match it by checking similar properties on Daft and local paper etc...
    If i put it up for 1200 and someone offers me 1000 i would literally laugh at them, The market is not like that at the moment contrary to what some people here believe. If it was like that then i would put it on at 1500 and accept 1200....

If you like the house and it is worth the rent to you then go for it or make a resonable offer (maybe 100 off or something like that). I would consider offers close to the mark only after a few weeks if i got no responses.

I currently have a house which will be available in two - three weeks time. I dropped the price already and have a tenant at asking price already and one waiting if it falls through.

It will always depend on the landlord if he takes or rejects an offer but don't expect miracles. It is always worth asking however and if they say no ask what is the minimum they would take. Bear in mind that 100 euro off a month equals 1200 a year. This is the same as having it empty for one month. Any more than this they may take the risk of leaving it up at the higher price. I know i certianly would as it is tax beneficial to me to do so.

Hope this helps.
    Gibo

Always nice to see a LL stick their neck out...fair play.

You'll more then likely be referring to the likes of me when saying you'd laugh in the face of a person who offers €1000 for a €1200 property.

When I say that I do believe it is possible or it is at least becoming possible, apartments are pretty easy to rent on the whole. When it comes to houses though there is huge amount of variation in quality, I know because I spend hour upon hour on Daft trawling through what’s on offer and I have to say, there are very few properties that actually seem to be worth the price quoted.

However, I look at renting a house from the point of view of just me and my GF (as I’d f**king love a garden), a usual house rent would be 3 or more people so the cost is split I suppose and maybe I’m a little bit of a snob as I only like sleeping on new mattresses and sitting on big comfy couches as all I seem to see in house rents are dirty stained mattresses and what can only be described as medieval torture devices in place of couches. (obviously I don’t want to tar all with the same brush but there is truth to it)

Every rental situation needs evaluating and that can only be done by the concerned parties at the time!

Advertisement