Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thread requested by Jakkass to respond to me

Options
  • 08-05-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this post:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60155579&postcount=117

Jakkass has asked that I start a new thread in order for him to respond to me. so here it is :)

There's no point repeating myself, you can see the points in the linked post

I'll just add the question for clarification: if true and valid morals come from God, why is it that people who are not christians and even people who have never heard of christianity share pretty much the same morality? And do you think that there are any example in the bible of things that do not appear moral?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    if true and valid morals come from God, why is it that people who are not christians and even people who have never heard of christianity share pretty much the same morality?

that's easy, God made everyone, include the people who have no idea who he is.

its like asking if morals are a product of evolution why do people who have never heard of evolution still act morally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Wicknight wrote: »

its like asking if morals are a product of evolution why do people who have never heard of evolution still act morally.

Do people actually use that argument?

That is one hell of a cop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Morality as creation of god is simply ludicrous idea but to be expected from anybody who believes god created everything. Morality is a very fluid concept that changes with society I doubt there is a world wide view of morality to start with. Christian churches have certainly acted immorally by our current western beliefs of morality

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sorry I should have been more specific. He said that there is some basic morality built into us but true morality comes from the bible and study of god

liah wrote: »
    Do people actually use that argument?

That is one hell of a cop out.

How is it a cop out?

Why would someone have had to have heard of God to possess the innate moral reasoning God gave humanity when he created us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I want to know what 'true morality' is versus morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

liamw wrote: »

I want to know how many accounts Jackass uses!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

liamw wrote: »

I think normal morality is "don't kill people" etc, stuff that is obvious to everyone and "true morality" is the stuff that isn't intuitive, like the idea that something is wrong even though it doesn't hurt anyone, eg homosexuality

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Dawkins' dismissal of this notion is my favourite chapter in The God Delusion. The whole cherry picking process - the idea that we get our morals from the Bible collapses the moment we discard any advice from it at all, regardless of how obviously objectionable it may seem to us, because at that point we are using a different set of moral criteria that can not have come from the Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

How is it a cop out?

Why would someone have had to have heard of God to possess the innate moral reasoning God gave humanity when he created us?

I thought that we didn't have innate morality. That's why we need the bible and Jesus to show us these things, right?

Ever hear the tired:

'If you don't believe, where do you get your morals from?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ever hear the tired:

'If you don't believe, where do you get your morals from?'

And I'm sich of stating, "From compassionate monkeys apes!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I think normal morality is "don't kill people" etc, stuff that is obvious to everyone and "true morality" is the stuff that isn't intuitive, like the idea that something is wrong even though it doesn't hurt anyone, eg homosexuality

To be honest I think we have to get very specific about what morals we are talking about for this one. I get what the general difference is now though (I think).

The example you gave, homosexuality; it would seem wrong for reasons associated with natural selection. It's obviously more natural for a man to be with a woman, reproduce and push genes to the next generation. I'm not arguing with you by the way because we both agree that morals don't come from the Bible, I guess I'm just stating my thoughts for this particular one...

I wish more Christians would come to comment on this thread. That's kinda why I was hoping it would be in the Christianity forum

I thought that we didn't have innate morality. That's why we need the bible and Jesus to show us these things, right?
    That is not Christian teaching as far as I understand it. The Bible is about salvation and how to lead morally better lives, not basic raping bad helping good instructions

Advertisement