Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the atheist experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I watch this a lot actually when I can. What I will say for Matt Dillahunty although I disagree with him clearly is that he has a very effective way of putting across a point that the callers often don't seem to demonstrate. It's a very organised system they have of representing their viewpoint and opinion and I find it interesting to see what they speak about generally. Theres a youtube user called FFreeThinker who often puts these videos up, and I'm subscribed to him so I generally get these on my list when I login on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Jakkass wrote: »
    I watch this a lot actually when I can. What I will say for Matt Dillahunty although I disagree with him clearly is that he has a very effective way of putting across a point that the callers often don't seem to demonstrate. It's a very organised system they have of representing their viewpoint and opinion and I find it interesting to see what they speak about generally. Theres a youtube user called FFreeThinker who often puts these videos up, and I'm subscribed to him so I generally get these on my list when I login on the site.

...but ... but ... but ... you're a close minded Christian ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Despite contrary opinion I can find some atheist opinions to be interesting and stimulating if put across in the right way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Watch them occasionally and they can be very interesting. For anyone interested here is their entire archive of past shows.

http://www.atheist-experience.com/archive/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

Jakkass wrote: »

yeah, i'd agree. from the videos i've watched (maybe 15-20), i've noticed the callers usually fail to pose any kind of intelligible argument for their beliefs. it's disappointing in that sense, but amusing to watch him blatantly dismiss their opinions. what they talk about in general is very interesting.

thank you for the link, sink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hey I found all the shows divided into years from 2004 at kickasstorrents.com. The guys involved encourage people to share the shows in case anyone is worried about downloading them.

A theist called in this week armed with the Transcendental argument for the existence of God, or TAG. They almost had an interesting conversation with the guy but the phone failed. Hope he calls back next week. Do many people listen to that podcast or are there other similar podcasts which you guys find interesting?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah they do a podcast too. I think it's called the not prophets podcast. I am subbed to both that and the podcast of the tv show.

matt can be really abrasive but only when people are being exceptionally stupid or refusing to budge on an argument where they're clearly wrong. He's a bit like a boards mod :D

TAG has been done to death on this show, look up Matt's debate with Matt Slick. TBH I kinda lost interest as I felt it kinda devolved towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

I love this show, listen to it every week! It would be great to have an Irish version.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah yeah the TAG debate with Matt Slick went a bit sideways but what killed me about it was that he didnt let Slick actually make the argument. I know they often say about tackling the faulty premises as they come up.

My problem with TAG is at the end when you ask 'ok if everything is conceptual or material, who/what conceived of god?' To which the answer is 'Nothing' which negates the premise that everything is conceptual or material. In the 40mins of the debate he never let Slick get that far.

I do wish he wouldn't cut people off so much.

Oh and 'The Good Atheist' podcast is funny. Canadian guy Jacob Fortin. funny dude.

Ha an Irish atheist experience. how cool would that be on City channel? Any takers to host the 'I'm an atheist even though my mammy says I'm catholic, experience' Vinchick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Ha an Irish atheist experience. how cool would that be on City channel? Any takers to host the 'I'm an atheist even though my mammy says I'm catholic, experience' Vinchick?

It would be so much fun! I alas ran away to another jurisdiction a few months ago but I would be sure of some brave sons and daughters of Eire who could and would take on the Mammies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement