Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose Your Weapons

Options
  • 08-05-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I've been looking through the older threads here and came across the favourite weapons thread which had a lot of interest,this one will be slightly different and only a bit of fun.If you had been a soldier during the war and you thought your own weapons inferior to the Axis powers or your Allies what would you rather choose to have?.So the idea is to pick any weapon or weaponary from a soldiers persective during WW2 from any country involved but give a reason why you chose that paticular weapon.Choose as many as you like but only one of each for example one make of grenade,one make of handgun and so forth,aircraft and armour is also included.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

MP44 over me shoulder driving a T-34 with an MG42 in the boot.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A-Bombs.

V-2 rockets (with my A-Bombs as ammo)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'd be cruisin round in one of these

FV85001_actual13.JPG

And If I had to get out, I'd carry one of these
    2M60E4Commando.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

first off an M1911 pistol for stopping power,an lee Enfield for accuracy,next an MG42 for rate of fire,Ya BABY:D,a T34,simple and straight forward and a mills grenade to chuck at the guy I missed

• Advertisement

On further reflection, I wouldn't mind a trained monkey with a flame thrower sitting in the passenger seat, just in case.

And the BAR as well. Always liked the look and sound of it.

Coupla panzerfaust 30s for tank bashing.

Maybe a messershmitt 109 for the quick getaway.

And those 'potato masher' grenades. Definitely a sackful of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Ah yes, for me it would have to be

on the ground:
    the Mp44 as an infantry weapon
    or
    the King Tiger Tank, you can almost feel the vibration in the camera when this thing drives past :)

in the Air:
    No contest, it's gotta be the ME 262

at sea:
    The Schnellboot or S-boot

A trained monkey with flame throwers,Damn it,I didn't know they had these:(:D

arnhem44 wrote: »
    A trained monkey with flame throwers,Damn it,I didn't know they had these:(:D

No?

I like the idea of a flamer but not the catching a round and getting incinerated.

I'd call him Bubbles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Trained Monkeys!!! aint that what the FCA are for :D:D

Oh yeah ,'TRAINED' :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why would anyone choose a T-34 as their tank? The T-34 was the best all round tank of the war, meaning that it was powerful, effective, cheap and most important, available in very large quantities, but it was not the best tank of the war by any means. A T-34 is inferior against a Tiger let alone a Panther or Tiger II.

I guess if I had to choose it would be MP44 for ground, King Tiger for Armour (I'm not particularly well up on Russian tanks of the later period so I'm sure there's something superior in there) and ME262 for the air.

the reason I chose the T34 was easy,even though the tiger variants were definately better they were overmanufactured,meaning if they broke down they couldn't be repaired in alot of cases,the tank would have to be recovered and repaired elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

List required if I was going to war in 1944

Any .45cal handgun
    1/2 dozen panzerfaust
    1/2 dozen termite grenades
    MP44 with double clip . A Thopson with a drum clip as back up for the MP44.
    MG42 along with a couple of thousand rounds and a batman to carry it for me
    Jagdpanzer 38 (t) Hetzer
    ME 262 or FW190
    US 1/2 track with V2 fitted on the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Pistol = Colt M1911A1
    Rifle = hard to choose between M1 garand and Enfield i the like enfield but if actually in a fight id have to go for semi auto M1 garand
    Sub-Machine Gun = Thompson
    Assault rifle = MP-44
    Sniper rifle = Gewehr 98 is my choice - mosin nagant for record but i fired one of these a few years ago and the recoil was unreal :eek:
    Squad Machine Gun = B.A.R. if on the move or has to be MG42 if stationary :eek:
    Anti Tank = has to be German 88's or for infantry Panzershreck
    Tank = German King tiger unstoppable 1 on 1 :p
    Airplane = late models P-51 mustang , ME-262 nice if you survive it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sidearm: Colt 1911
    Rifle: Springfield 1903
    Personal automatic: MP44
    Squad automatic: BAR

Got to say, if you complain about the recoil of the 7.62x54R, the 8x57 is definitely not for you. Shot both and the 8x57 kicks as hard in a full length as the 7.62x54R, to say nothing of it in a carbine form. Only useful but mild cartridge of the time was the 6.5x55 SE. .303 British is no slouch either in recoil terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

Trained Monkeys!!! aint that what the FCA are for :D:D

Oh yeah ,'TRAINED' :D:D:D

Niice my friend!:D
    It's the RDF now though isn't it?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Pistol = Colt M1911A1
    Rifle = Lee Enfield
    Sub-Machine Gun = Thompson
    Assault rifle = MP-44
    Sniper rifle = Mosin-Nagant
    Squad Machine Gun = MG42
    Anti Tank = Panzershreck
    Tank = German Panther...as King tiger too heavy and slow.
    Airplane = P-51 Mustang or ME-262

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Pistol = russian tokarev
    Rifle = M1 garand
    Sub-Machine Gun = PPSH-41 with round drum
    Assault rifle = well there was only 1 type Stg-44 aka Mp-44
    Sniper rifle = Mosin-Nagant
    Squad Machine Gun = browning m1919
    Anti Tank = M9 bazooka as panzershrek is to heavy
    Tank = T34 good all around tank but for charging through everything king tiger!
    Airplane = british spitfire

Came across an interesting debate the other day on an American forum about which WW2 rifle was the best,taking in to account that these people most likely shoot these weapons it was interesting to read there views,things like how the Garand could not be reloaded whilst the clip was been used and the distinctive sound it made when the clip got ejected from the gun,in close combat conditions the opposing soldiers could take advantage of this,of course you would think the bolt action rifles would of got slated but the Lee Enfield and K98 were deemed one of the best even though they had the short comings of been bolt action,what surprised me most was the lack of praise the Mosin Nagant recieved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

arnhem44 wrote: »
    and the distinctive sound it made when the clip got ejected from the gun,in close combat conditions the opposing soldiers could take advantage of this,

It was not just the opposing soldiers who took advantage of this. Many american soldiers would fire off several rounds and then, using a spare piece of metal, imitate the clang of an empty clip. At this point enemy soldiers who tried to take advantage of the empty clip would be in for a surprise.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    It was not just the opposing soldiers who took advantage of this. Many american soldiers would fire off several rounds and then, using a spare piece of metal, imitate the clang of an empty clip. At this point enemy soldiers who tried to take advantage of the empty clip would be in for a surprise.
    "BANG" your dead.True very true when looked at it that way but I would imagine the first scenario would outway the second

Advertisement