Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

View on barking

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a miniature Jack Russell he's about 3 years old now and as you can imagine full to the brim of energy.

He's kept indoors mostly and walked every night but we let him out in the mornings for a couple of hours. He's not a constant barker but likes to make his presence felt sometimes especially if the neighbours dogs (at the back of our house) are barking.

One Saturday morning when I was out about two months ago my wife let him out at 11am as she slept in, wife said he was doing a little bit of running around and barking but nothing crazy (for a jack russell). The next thing she got a huge bang on the door from the next door neighbour (female) saying that her boyfriend cant sleep because of the barking. I wasnt there at the time and the dog doesn't really do what he's told by my wife. So she brought him in doors to keep the peace.

Is there a rule with dog owners about a time when its ok to just let the dog bark, I mean it was 11:30 on a Saturday morning, I would have been able to quiet him down, but the wife does not have this Jedi gift I call "The Stare".

This happened again today she came in complaining about the dog barking, we've no problem with bringing the dog in when someones asks, but they shouldn't have to and in the ideal world I'd really like to be able to leave him out.

Anyway I can't teach him not to bark, I know its natural for a dog to bark but I think things are coming strained between us and the neighbour.

Anyone any ideas, as my wife is expectant and once the baby is born the dog will be out doors most of the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I would have been able to quiet him down, but the wife does not have this Jedi gift I call "The Stare".

Let the force be with her too :D

(seenashow she will be his primary contact pretty soon, best get her up on speed)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

As far as I known, from a legal standpoint you are in the clear up to approx 8-10pm at night. However, to keep on good side of neighbours:

Try to find out why your dog is barking - is it because he has been left alone, bored or?

You can get anti barking products - electronic and one which sprays water at the dog just as a destraction.

Let me know more and I will see if I can offer any guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Excellent, the water sprayer is a great idea, where do you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

1. Use a spray container with water in it when dog is barking to deter.
    2. Your pet shop has products also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

ahh! now I get you.. thats so simple I might try it on my next door neighbour also..

• Advertisement
Advertisement