Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike stands I assume

Options
  • 07-05-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

First one is Cornmarket and High Street outside St Audeon's Church, the second is outside the Bull & Castle pub opposite Christchurch.

Comments

meglome wrote: »
    First one is Cornmarket and High Street outside St Audeon's Church, the second is outside the Bull & Castle pub opposite Christchurch.

Wouldn't be for the new rental bikes that Dublin City Council sold out advertising space for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

foreign wrote: »
    Wouldn't be for the new rental bikes that Dublin City Council sold out advertising space for?

I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Bout time

Another bike stand on the corner of Bolton Street and Capel Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Another CCTV cam will be fitted on that pole in the background. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So?

If it stops the bikes getting trashed and stolen I for one welcome it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Looks too inflexible to work unless they roll out a couple of hundred bike stands. If you hire a bike you want to be able to leave it near your destination, otherwise what's the point? The DB system is totally flexible but relies on people not vadalising the bikes. Most times the bikes are left locked to themselves and not to a "fixed object". People just don't damage them though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_a_Bike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

murphaph wrote: »
    Looks too inflexible to work unless they roll out a couple of hundred bike stands. If you hire a bike you want to be able to leave it near your destination, otherwise what's the point?
    I don't think they're going very far with it - no further than the canals afaik. So a couple of hundred stands would be overkill. However, at each point what you need is a detailed map which shows you exactly where the points are. So when I want to go from the Portobello to Abbey Street, I can see exactly where the closest drop-off point to Abbey Street is.

Don't know where you live but from living in Dublin city centre I don't think these bikes would last a month if there was no cameras on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Don't know where you live but from living in Dublin city centre I don't think these bikes would last a month if there was no cameras on them.
    ah but you don't know run to da hills form! he has to have some rant about cctv taking over our lives at every possible opportunity otherwise it isn't a happy little day safe in da hills without a camera pointing at him and the aliens sending messages into his brain....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

dereko1969 wrote: »
    ah but you don't know run to da hills form! he has to have some rant about cctv taking over our lives at every possible opportunity otherwise it isn't a happy little day safe in da hills without a camera pointing at him and the aliens sending messages into his brain....

LOL, and so accurate! I'd rather a camera watching me than little knacks vandalising the bikes at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

LOL, and so accurate! I'd rather a camera watching me than little knacks vandalising the bikes at every opportunity.

Tbh a baseball cap and a hoodie render most CCTV useless,the little knackers will wreck them cameras or no cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lord lucan wrote: »
    Tbh a baseball cap and a hoodie render most CCTV useless,the little knackers will wreck them cameras or no cameras.

The unfortunate truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thers another set on Grantham Street at the corner of Camden Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

here's a map of the locations: http://www.aaireland.ie/download/bikescheme.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

From the photos it looks like it's the same system as used in Paris. Those biked are pretty hard to steal if they're on a stand, but of course they can (and do) get vandalised.

I'd agree there's a minimum number of stands you need before it becomes useful - if you can't leave the bike back near your destination then it's no use. And you will have to leave it back, otherwise your credit card gets hit for 150 euro (Paris price anyway).

A big problem over there was some people not reconnecting the bike properly to the stand - then it's not detected and you get hit for the full penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

do you have to have a credit card to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

There were a few options:
    - use credit card for short term usage (you pay 1 euro to have access to the bikes for 24 hours, or 5 euro to have access for 7 days)
    - you use a local bank account to setup access for 1 year, that cost 28 euro if I remember correctly

In all cases, once you have arranged access, the bikes are free for the 1st half hour. If you keep any single bike for more than a half hour, you start paying and it goes up fairly quickly. This idea is to just use the bikes to get from A to B.

So you can use the bikes without a credit card, but you need a local bank account as security instead.

That's all valid for Paris; it could of course be different for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so much for spontaneity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Of course it would be too sensible to put bike stands at Heuston and Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

But sure then people'd be using them all the time and that fella'd be driven demented redistributing them during the first week. After that he just wouldn't bother, and would leave them all pile up in Abbey St until there'd be no spaces in Abbey St ever again, and then people would rather just steal them than lose their deposit. There's also a baby bird in a nest somewhere, but I can't fit it into the story just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Why couldn't they use Google maps.... The detail quality is terrible the in pdf.
    loyatemu wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

There's plenty of space in front of Heuston station, but its needed for executive car parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

A month is being generous as to how long it takes them to vandalise/graffiti/steal/render useless these bike stands.

I would give it approx 2-3 weeks before someone drunk and wanting to '' have a laugh '' vandalises it , and then DCC will have wasted their sweet time on a project that they actually will have finished for once.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

seriously a month is too long before 4 drunks walking home from Coppers/Flannerys/ or wherever decide to kick 4 bikes free [ 10 days I'd say before the first large scale one ]

Advertisement