Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st. patrick guild

Options
  • 07-05-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi, all i havent posted here in ages but have being silently lurking !!
    after years of debate i finally posted off my letter yesterday to st. paticks guild to get my non- identifying info.
    just a quick question as you can imagine it took a lot for me to muster to courage to send it off but i was just wondering does it usually take long to get a reply from them.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SPG are actually quite good of late in responding to inquiries. Realistically I'd give them 2 weeks or so- followed up by a brief phone call if you haven't heard from them at that stage- just 'to confirm receipt of your request'.

Well done on mustering up the courage!

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

Thanks ,
    got reply yesterday, so i am just waiting for appointment now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the 'appointment' for?
    I got the impression that looking for non-identifying information would be just a matter of writing to them and them sending me the information in writing????
    I am thinking about asking for some of my non-identifying information, but it's not for tracing purposes, or to get a birth cert (not at the moment anyway) there are just some things that I am curious about and the list of questions on the trace guide cover a lot of the stuff I am curious about - like I've always wondered what my natural mothers first name was, and if she gave me a name.
    At the moment, I have absolutely no need or wish to search or meet anyone, but would like to get some bits of information without having to go through appointments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

GeturGun wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but what is the 'appointment' for?
    I got the impression that looking for non-identifying information would be just a matter of writing to them and them sending me the information in writing????
    I am thinking about asking for some of my non-identifying information, but it's not for tracing purposes, or to get a birth cert (not at the moment anyway) there are just some things that I am curious about and the list of questions on the trace guide cover a lot of the stuff I am curious about - like I've always wondered what my natural mothers first name was, and if she gave me a name.
    At the moment, I have absolutely no need or wish to search or meet anyone, but would like to get some bits of information without having to go through appointments etc.

With information as private and sensitive as that, it is best to go in person, and I would consider it good practice for them to request to meet you in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, maybe st patricks guild call you in for your non id info, i got mine from cunamh and it was posted out to me, the information you get is limited, your mothers first name , age and your fathers first name and age if they have it on record most of the information is about yourself your time of birth where you where born , weight etc.hope this helps....kathy

• Advertisement

The letter i recieved stated that they like to meet in person as it give the opportunity for them to go through the information they are giving you and gives you the opportunity to ask questions. I have only requested my non- identifying info but this seems to be the way they work - although it does say that if it is not possible for me to meet then they could post out the information.
    From what ive heard it is probobly better to go in person as you have the chance to ask some questions etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Thanks for the replies guys - an 'appointment' sounded very formal but as you say lilyrose .........
    lilyrose wrote: »
    From what ive heard it is probobly better to go in person as you have the chance to ask some questions etc...

it sounds like it might indeed be a better idea to meet them in case of questions. I'll write to them anyway (St Louise Adoption Society) and see what options they give me

The information you got Kathy sounds a lot like what I'm looking for

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Hi all, I have have just completed my search with a lunch with my BM, all through the process in place at SPG. I to had the appointment and got my non id info. I gave me info such as, weight, name given by BM (already had this from my parents)

SPG were really good in the whole process. The SW I had was excellent.

hi thegan,
    hope your reunion with your birthmother went well, good luck to the both of you....kathy

thegen wrote: »
    Hi all, I have have just completed my search with a lunch with my BM, all through the process in place at SPG. I to had the appointment and got my non id info. I gave me info such as, weight, name given by BM (already had this from my parents)

SPG were really good in the whole process. The SW I had was excellent.

good to hear spg where good to deal with - do you mind me asking did the whole process of tracing take long for you ???
    hope your reunion went well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭oide10

efla wrote: »
    With information as private and sensitive as that, it is best to go in person, and I would consider it good practice for them to request to meet you in person.

Sorry now to resurrect an old thread but I was looking to see was there any threads on St Patrick's Guild! I recently sent a letter looking for non identifying information and was told that I would need to come to this 'interview'. (They actually used this word) It's non identifying info, what is private and sensitive about it!? I feel that the 'interview' serves to see if I am suitable to receive this information. Also I don't live in Dublin so I would have to take time off work to travel up so they can scrutinise me. I have already sent on ID, so this is just a whole rigmarole! I have no intention of meeting my birth family so why go through this process? Then how am I sure that they are not holding back information from me?

oide10 wrote: »
    efla wrote: »

Sorry now to resurrect an old thread but I was looking to see was there any threads on St Patrick's Guild! I recently sent a letter looking for non identifying information and was told that I would need to come to this 'interview'. (They actually used this word) It's non identifying info, what is private and sensitive about it!? I feel that the 'interview' serves to see if I am suitable to receive this information. Also I don't live in Dublin so I would have to take time off work to travel up so they can scrutinise me. I have already sent on ID, so this is just a whole rigmarole! I have no intention of meeting my birth family so why go through this process? Then how am I sure that they are not holding back information from me?

Hey oide10,
    As far as I'm aware the social worker has left st. Patricks guild and hasn't been replaced so Sr. Francis seems to be dealing with everything - as far as I'm concerned anyway..
    Maybe if u try and ring them and explain to them that its not feasible to attend this interview or even ask what it intails !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seagirls

Hi Oide10
    Coincidence is a funny thing! I just rang SPG this morning.
    I sent away for my non-id info a few yrs back and was happy enough with just that. However, in light of recent media stories it niggled at me that perhaps I shouldn't just take it for granted that it's all correct (maybe I'm wrong). I've developed this need to make sure that my BM is ok - that's all I need to know.
    The SW on my letter was Sr. Cadden and when I rang I was advised that she is unwell at the moment and as said before, Sr. Francis is looking after things but she will not be back on Wednesday.
    I'm wondering how some people seem to have been told their original birth name and yet my letter advised that this wouldn't be given to me as it would be seen to be identifying info ???
    This probably isn't of great help but at least you know you can get the info by post
    Seagirls

hi seagirls, did u get ur mothers firstname and ur first name and where u where born, if so u could do ur own search, take a look at the tracing guides. thats how most people get to know their original names. kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seagirls

Hi Kathy,
    Thanks for that, I've had a look at the guidelines. The letter sent to me from SPG advised that my name would be classed as identifying info and therefore they wouldn't give it to me, nor did they give me my BM's name. But I'm sure if I ring I may get a little more, who knows
    Thank you
    Seagirls

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sarak

hey just wondering how long will it take now to get a responce from st patricks guild if they are closing? would it be worth my while contacting them before they close or are they in wind down mode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sarak

hi thinking of looking for non identifying info from st pats guild, are they closing shop and what happens if they do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Contact them. Apparently they are continuing to operate, until such time as their files are handed over the HSE. If you don't hear back from them in a reasonable time frame- contact the Adoption Authority- they have a copy of the files.

Advertisement