Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL Teaching abroad

Options
  • 07-05-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking of doing this for 3 months and then travelling for another 3. Not sure if I can do it for 3 months. Do I need the TEFL qualification? it costs about 500! I have a degree in software development, not English. Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

There is no TEFL qualification costing 500 euro that is worth doing as far as I know! Any decent course is up around a grand (maybe 800 at a minimum) and has over 100 hours plus teaching practice any other not recognised by ACELS is really not worth the money.

Most schools outside Europe that would take anyone with the cheaper course would most likely take you on even if you had no TEFL training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chipsbebo

Scarymoon,

I take it the 100 hour course is the i-to-i course? I did that weekend course, what you get from it is classroom confidence and a refresher course in grammar. Its worth doing but doesn't really hold any merit abroad from what i've been researching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭thesecretforme

I want to do a TEFL via a Distance Learning Organisation from Dublin. Does that hold any merit? If not, which one should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Praxis07

as anoisaris said, look for ACELS recognition and /or check the accrediting body of the course provider. Some course providers provide their own accreditation which is not always widely recognised. I did mine with a language school in Derry and it was sufficient to teach ESOL (English to speakers of other languages) with a VEC. Other colleagues in the VEC completed the i-to-i training, although they also had prior experience in education. Look at universities, some provide TEFL training which is then accredited by the uni. Waterford I.T. used to run distance learning TEFL / ESOL training courses in partnership with the national adult literacy agency (NALA), I'm not sure if they still provide them but the modules were well accredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

As above, and all the other threads on this issue: only do an ACELS (i.e. CELT) accredited TEFL course. It will cost between €850 to €1100.

A CELTA (Cambridge) course is also of an equivalent standard but you will pay around €1400-€1500 for that.

Don't waste your time with anything less than these 120 hour/4 week courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I haven't done any TEFL teaching abroad - I only did my ACELS CELT in January. There are more TEFL jobs in Ireland than TEFL teachers in July. August is a bit quieter, but still should be busy. Alas, you usually only get 15 hours teaching per week in a school; usually 3 hours in the morning or evening five days a week.

You may additionally get social events work (e.g. bringing them to GAA matches, trad music, history tours etc) as well for which you'll be paid less. I was offered €16.50 per hour from one school, and €36 for a 4 hour session from another school so needless to say which one I'll accept.

I'd go abroad in a heartbeat if I had the freedom! The main reason I did the CELT was to have a money-earning job no matter where I went abroad.

Advertisement